Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Electric Fuel Pump for Carbed applications?

Moderator: Mod Squad

Broncomike

Electric Fuel Pump for Carbed applications?

Post #1 by Broncomike » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:42 pm

I believe the cam eccentric on my 300 is worn, as I'm having issues with fuel supply and think it's part of my truck running lean. New mechanical pump didn't help.

Since I'm prepping to swap an efi block, I'm looking at electric pumps, regulators, etc.

Any suggestions on pump and regulator selection and whether I should run a return line? Can I run a T to my existing line or is there spot to run one on the factory 1985 tank?

I've been looking at a couple of Carter inline pumps in the 4psi range but gph seem low at 15gpm versus a 5-9psi pump at 30ish gph.

sdiesel

Re: Electric Fuel Pump for Carbed applications?

Post #2 by sdiesel » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:15 am

I trust the facet- Purolator pumps .
They have exactly what you need. In terms of pressure and volume. And they are a lift pump as well as a pusher.
Great pumps
Return lines. Does ur 85 have just 1 tank? If regulated there is no need for a return line but regulators do offer that option.

My fish carbs require a Max of 3 pounds , any more and they burble like an unhappy child.
I don't use a return line. A fuel pressure gauge at regulator is a help .
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

DoctorC

Post #3 by DoctorC » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:18 am

Before you make this jump read a little about electric pump drone. I had this as part of the carb upgrade kit and was all prepped and ready to go. But when I was trying to read about the best pump fixation location / method I came across tons of people who uninstalled these afterwards because the constant drone they produce. So I chickened out.

Turns out modern cars isolate the pumps from the frame to avoid this. Very hard to do in our oldies.

But, if that keeps you from a cam swap it might be worth it.
1967 Cherry Red Mustang
Weber 32/36,
MSD 6AL+MSD Coil,
Duraspark 2 dizzy

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #4 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:21 am

Broncomike wrote:
I've been looking at a couple of Carter inline pumps in the 4psi range but gph seem low at 15gpm versus a 5-9psi pump at 30ish gph.

At a BSFC of .50 (typical WOT) 30 gph will support about 378 hp.
I use one of those cheapie Carter pumps on my 5.0 HO powered tub with good results. (but I do keep a spare handy). They are noisy though.
A Holley red internally regulated is also an alternative

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Holley-7 ... 91EALw_wcB
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

sdiesel

Post #5 by sdiesel » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:57 am

Might look into a factory fuel pump from any mfgr , and use a return line factory pumps are kinda quiet

Broncomike

Post #6 by Broncomike » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:56 pm

I was looking at something like this https://www.amazon.com/Carter-P90091-El ... 589&sr=8-1

I think one application is an early 80s carbed S10 with the 1.9l. The problem is they're rated 2.5-7 psi and I'm worried that 2.5 on the low end isn't enough? That style pump.is supposed to be pretty quiet and a factory application seems easier to find at a parts store. They're supposed to be quiet as well.

I saw those Facet pumps, wasn't sure on the quality so thanks for that, I'll check them out as well.

It's a Bronco so just one tank, my only concern with a return line was, I've heard vapor lock can be an issue without one but no personal experience with it.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #7 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:16 pm

I had to put a fuel return line on my 460-powereed '46 pickup and eliminated 90% of the hot fuel handling issues.

Since I welded a fitting into the filler pipe it was a relatively simple process.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

sdiesel

Post #8 by sdiesel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 am

Facet - top o the line stuff, we use them in const as lift pumps they last forever and can pull 10 feet easily diesel or gas, and in one case, water.

I buy the type with the spin on strainer.