eBay 144/170 McCord Head Gaskets

Two things catch my attention here. The first is that they list the gaskets as fitting a 144 & 170 plus a 200 & a 250. This is wrong. The 144 & 170 are a 3.50" bore & the 200 & 250 are a 3.68" bore. Two different gaskets required here. The 144/170 gaskets would overhang the 200/250 bore. The 200/250 gaskets would unnecessarily lower the compression on a 144/170 engine.

Second thing catching my attention is the two different mentions of the gaskets being McCord & FelPro in the listing. In the pictures they show a McCord gasket. In the description they discuss finding a bunch of FelPro gaskets. Which is it? Do they know for sure? or assume they are the same? I don't see a place on the listing to be able to select a larger or smaller bore gasket.

Just my concerns.

The problem today is that head gaskets for the 144/170 is not readily available. The head gasket for the 200/250 will fit the 144/170, but at the 3.82" bore will decrease the compression ratio.

Yes, I wondered if the seller knew what he was talking about when I asked him if he had a caliper to measure the bore accurately. I told him the 3.63 bore he reported meant 144/170 only, but he did not heed my words and change his description. But yea, those gaskets are no good on a 200/250, that's why I said 144/170 in the posting title. Stupid sellers with inaccurate listings may still yield a bargain if you know what you are looking at.

I've never had much luck with passing information to sellers online. One guy did listen on an old Willys F head 6 cyl and then he got mad at me a week later because someone else gave him the first bad info again and he changed it back. Said I made him look like an idiot

You try to do people a favor and they get mad at you! I'm a guitar collector, and I often see for sale descriptions that are clearly wrong. If you point it out, only once in a while will the seller thank you for preventing a dissappointed customer and a return. The majority of times you get anger and suspicion.

I didn't realize that 144/170 gaskets were getting hard to find. I knew from reading about it here that there was a problem with finding rear main seals for a while. I guess these engines are getting pretty old, as much as I hate to admit.

Back