All Small Six 1960 Ranchero

This relates to all small sixes

Ditch Doc 77

Ok... 60 Ranchero, we dropped a 170ci with an autolite 1100 carb. coupled to a c4 transmission.

We (my son and I) have been working on this for about 2 years. We are close to being done. (Its for my son to drive. ) But the issue I'm having is that it'll idle just fine. And it'll drive for about 5 mins then it'll die. Put it in N or P and it'll start and idle, then put it in drive it'll run for a minute then die again.

We put an electric pump on it(4 to 7 psi pump) hoping to help it not vapor lock. But I'm afraid that's what it's still doing. I don't have the 1k + to buy a throttlebody setup.
2 things I'm thinking is a higher psi pump, and possibly changing out the 1/4" hard fuel line to a 5/16" hose to run from the tank/pump.

Any thoughts or ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

It's the fobistat sensor. Doesnt it throw a cF113 code?
aahahahaa
Truth? nota nuff info. (4 me).
U put in the ele pump after seeing the ice & slowed trickle of gas rather then
the few qt/min due to running till heat/humid weather and venturi effect of carb iced it up.
Can you tell me more abt how else it's equipped? Any pic (of motor) or vids?
Remote diagnosis is difficult enuff, any of these requests can help...
Sounds more ele. to me, sudden quit? Restart almost immediate~

7 psi is too high for that carb. Do you have a regulator somewhere between the pump and the carb to reduce the pressure? When it stalls, have you checked to confirm that you have spark at the plugs and fuel in the carb? The issue you describe sounds a lot like a clogged fuel filter. It could also be a flakey electrical connection or an electronic component that's in the final stages of its life. Do you have a points ignition or something else?

X2 you don't want to have anything over 4 to 4.5 PSI going to a Autolite 1100 Carb. Did you check the Fuel Pick Up Sock on the end of the Fuel Gauge Unit?

With all of the issues with vapor lock, I ran my fuel line across the front of the engine along the swaybar and up the right side to the carb away from the exhaust manifold.

Clogged pickup in the tank? I've only got vapor lock once with my '63 170, 1100 autolite, 1 hour+ in heavy city traffic, 95+ degree weather, 100% stock fuel system and fuel line routing. Known running lean, and over advanced timing.

Maybe something in the carb, running lean, or off timing.

What do your plugs look like?

Last edited:
ok sorry, been a busy few weeks. more info.

completely rebuilt motor
brand new fuel tank
electric pump from summit.

I disconnected the line at the (original) hard line in the engine bay, turned the key on to run the pump and had no fuel coming out.
so I pulled the pump and did a "bench" run using a cup of fuel and a battery. I used about 10" of hose into the cup and it pulled the fuel just fine.
I then used about 7 feet of line to pull fuel from the cup, worked just fine. "ok" I think. not the fuel pump.

so drain the new tank and drop it to see if for some strange reason the new sending unit, inside the new fuel tank is clogged somehow.
pulled it out, no issues at all. put it back into the tank and bench run it with the 10 " line hooked up the sending unit and run it back into the tank through the 7' of line. no issues at all.
so, I put it all back together. and tried pumping it through the hard line again. runs fine.. hooked it back up the the line to the carb and it fires up no problem and runs like a champ. Son and I drove it around for about 45 mins with no issues whatsoever..

one thing I DID find was a pinhole leak in the hard line just above the differential. so we cut the hardline back and replaced it with hose.

everything seems to be working great now. on to the next issue, C4 transmission leak.. I replaced the pan as the original was slightly bent.
the new pan, with a cork gasket still has a slow leak. 1 drip about every 20 seconds. after researching, the simplest fix appears to be getting a cast aluminum pan instead of using the pressed steel pan along with a cork gasket.

I'll try to post again sooner than a few weeks.

thanks for the input.

did I see some fuel line replaced w/rubber? How long where?

need metal for safety?
Not sure the law now... may be use of flair tool / compression fittings?
Or is that illegal now?

o0OP, thought ya said 'replaced (some) w/rubber'.
Fella here came in for a 'sticker failure' fix as he'd used
that for a rusted out section.

Back