All Small Six 302 valve springs

This relates to all small sixes

mluck

had my engine rebuilt ..installed a new clay smith cam..264 either 110/110 or 112/112 center lobe..just don’t remember..bought it back when that guy in az.sold parts…question is..do I need the 302 valve springs…clay smith sells the dual springs..my old cam was the 260 and I believe when I had the head rebuilt years back…he put stock springs…car ran fine…but you know..want it done right…thanks for any advice.

The Comp cam is close to the same specs as the Clay Smith cam.

The Comp 903-12 springs are the correct springs for the Comp Cam.

Why did you switch to the Clay Smith cam?

I run the comp 260 in mine with 302 short springs (sealed power VS-733) they set up at 80 lbs seat pressure. this has been many years ago but i bought the comp recommended springs, comp listed them at 48 lbs seat pressure. I felt with the larger valves and heavier Crane steel retainers that was not enough and stepped up the pressure a little with the VS-733. I turn mine up to 5,200 plus rpm pretty regular without valve float. best advise i can give is to have the springs set up checking open and closed pressures and and open clearance under the retainer with a seal installed. The Crane retainers i used had some interference so i had the guides machined on mine and ran positive seals from i believe a nissan but Vintage inlines carries a couple different versions if needed..

The Comp 903-12 springs are 80 lbs at 1.700” and 95 lbs at 1.650”
They fit the stock retainers and the spring locator that is cast in the head.
It doesn’t get any easier than that.

Back