A lot of problems but I don't know where to start.

63Rancher

So I think I have a issue with my fuel boiling, but am not positive. Yesterday while driving home my 63 ranchero started chugging and stalling out, then it would pick back up, and then do it again. It was worse if I took my foot off the gas, and got better if I disengaged the clutch. I just recently had the transmission out to repair the clutch fork. I have also upgraded the ignition to a MSD coil, pertronix mag p/u in the distributor, and I advanced the timing because the plugs were burning like they it was a little retarded. When the car finally stalled out, it would crank, and when I got out to pop the hood I left the key in the ignition and the resistor wire behind the instruments burned off a good portion of the insulation. After sitting for a few minutes it finally started back up and drove home like normal. I know I am missing the hot air pick up/heat sheild off the exhaust manifold, but I have one living in my shed. I've heard of people having fuel boiling issues with out those installed, so I figured that may have been the cause. Any opinions or thoughts? or am I fubar?

*edit* also, I'm not sure what temp I was running at, my temp gauge is shot. But the coolant is good and at a good level, hoses are ok, and nothing felt or looked like it was overheating.

What kind of ambient temperatures in your local area? Did you set the timing by ear, or with a stroboscope?

The burnt resistor wire suggests to me an electrical issue more than anything. I'd be bypassing it with some safe new wiring that included an ignition relay to avoid heavy current draw under the dash.

That said, check all wires including the motor ground strap for internal resistance, chafing and signs of shortcircuiting.

If you are still in doubt as to your fuel, "shoot" the carb and log temps with an infra-red pyrometer.

Regards, Adam.

Ya I also dont like the hot wire problem. Didnt the MSD instructions talk about eliminating the resistor? When the resistor is hot its resistance goes up which means less voltage available (which usually makes things even hotter). Some simple electronics just go nuts when the voltage is marginal, the better (more complex) designs have a circuit in them that just shuts down if the voltage is out of the safe range.

The temp around my area ranges from about 65 to 75 most days, the day in question being of the latter temp. I unfortunately melted my timing lights amp probe so I had to set this one by ear, not the best method I know. As for the MSD it did have instructions about an in line resistor, but the parts house guy said if I was using a resistor wire to just wire it like the old coil. I tend to trust this guy about these things since he's also building a falcon, but I guess I should be more through in my research huh?

Addo, how would I go about bypassing it? I'm not real good at electrical, but know the basics of soldering and crimping and such. What gauge wire should I be using? And any specific relay?

Check with MSD and find out what value resistor it needs if any. The stock resistor wire is 1.4 ohms I believe. While it is normal for it to get warm, not hot enough to melt the insulation. You can replace it with 14 gauge wire, but if your coil requires a resistor you can mount the proper size under the hood on the firewall in a dry place. Coils getting the wrong voltage will get hot and burn themselves up. I don't think this is your problem, but it needs addressed.

hey everyone, sorry been absent with a reply for so long, my hard drive decided it was time to die. So I rewired the resistor wire today, haven't taken it out yet but she started when I was finishing up the project. tomorrow will be the day of reckoning so to speak. let ya know how it goes. also, a black wire running to the wiper motor has burned completely up. It's not part of the connector, its a separate single one that goes off to the left of the unit. is this a ground? and if so, why did the ground burn up before the rest of the harness?

Back