All Small Six Autolite 1100 on 1976 I6 200

This relates to all small sixes
I have a rebuilt D8BE 6015 GC block with a D7BE head with a Duraspark II distro and and Autolite 1100 in my wife's 65 Mustang Vert. The 1100 is an SCV carb and I've been told that there would be some issues with this carb and a Duraspark II distro. Some folks on the Mustang forum suggested that I run the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum and plug up the ported vacuum on the carb. I did that. Another member also mentioned about modifying the 1100 but didn't go into detail so I don't know what he meant. Another, a larger carb, eg. one for a 77 Granada or Fairmont but said I'd have to adapt my throttle linkage to the carb and probably have to get a different spacer. Apparently I have an aftermarket spacer between the carb and the intake log someone said. The spacer on the car intake port is the same diameter as the intake log so there is no flow restriction there. If getting a different carb and spacer is an easy fix, do I get a Carter for a Grenada? What about the spacer? The spacer for a Grenada has a number of other ports on it that seem to hook up to anti pollution devices that I don't have, maybe an EGR valve? Eventually I want to go with a Sniper 1100 since this engine seems strong. The guy I bought it from had it rebuilt and it was in a 67 Ranchero before he decided to do a V8 engine and AOD swap.

The pictures are before I re-routed the vacuum advance line to manifold vacuum shared with a T with the C4 Trans vacuum line on the front side of the manifold under the carb. I would appreciate any advice on how to mod the carb to work better with the Duraspark II distro.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4287.JPG
    IMG_4287.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4284.JPG
    IMG_4284.JPG
    417.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4286.JPG
    IMG_4286.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 13
That's a good combo of parts for a daily street driver. Yes you sure could go with one of severial newer style 1V Carb's including the Granada or even one of the 2V types if you wanted to do the mod's nessisary to adapt them.

That statement that you were told about having miss match issues is true. In the very worse cases having a miss match of a Carb and Distribitor is not good for the best in engine performance or for its best economy. The worse combo of these parts is using a newer "Non Spark Control Valve (SCV)" Carb connected up to an old school 1960 to 1967 Load O Matic (LOM) Distribitor this is a big no no to be able to properly operate those old distributors. However your combo isn't quite as bad it's just not going to work for its best economy. It's an easy fix to correct this with an Autolite 1100 with a Mod is called "Drop A Load" and its easy to do. In my OPIN this is the way I would go in your situation if you wanted to keep it low budget and if your Carb is still in good operating condistion.

There used to be few pictures showing how to do the mod on this forum that our site member Bill wsa111 posted from somewhere else, recently I was looking for those pictures and they were no longer available don't know if they are saved somewhere else on the web or not. To do this mod you just unscrew the Carb's SCV then look inside for the two Vacuum ports, find the top one that leads to the Carb's upper Venturi Vacuum source. Next drill & tap that upper port to install a small set screw you can use some lock tite and tighten it snugly in place. Last if you want you can find a soft plug of the correct size to fit the SCV opening use some sealer around the lip (best way) or you can also reinstall the SCV if you go that way check for any vacuum leaks on the SCV and around its threads. After you do this mod you will have a ported vacuum source for use with any of the newer style duel advance distributors. Here is the link to the pictures and instructions for the "Drop A Load" Mod.

By the way if you wanted to have this mod done by a Pro than you could contact our site member Bill " wsa111" who offers these type of service's and much more at his shop. Best of luck

yeah, a search function visit could reveale that nice lill sketch.
Ur dizzy is DSI i believe? (similar to II)

fordsix.com/threads/delete-scv-on-1100-autolite-for-ported-vacuum.76821/
Here is the link to delete the SCV. Bill

By the way, where did you get your DS11 from. If you just purchased a reman. the curve is way off. Contact me or look at my listings in the small ford six for sale section of the forum. Bill wsa111

fordsix.com/threads/delete-scv-on-1100-autolite-for-ported-vacuum.76821/
Here is the link to delete the SCV. Bill
I haven’t yet. I will definitely check it out. By the way this may be a hokie way for doing a drop a load, but what about JB weld? It’s completely resistant to Gas.

"approved" but see sketch 1st...
Use 'heat resistant' cuz right over exh manifold...

By the way, where did you get your DS11 from. If you just purchased a reman. the curve is way off. Contact me or look at my listings in the small ford six for sale section of the forum. Bill wsa111
Your sketch is awesome. I like the idea of the set screws better than JB Weld. Can you confirm the three set screw placements? I can’t seem to expand the pics clearly. 1 screw in the top that I see is circled that leads to the scv. 1 screw in the carburetor vacuum port with what looks like a wire sticking through, and one screw just before the threads of the scv correct? And only the passages going to the scv will need tapped.

Last edited:
I haven’t yet. I will definitely check it out. By the way this may be a hokie way for doing a drop a load, but what about JB weld? It’s completely resistant to Gas.
That's not a good idea, go to the above link and look at the pictures it's a very simple and cheap mod (cheaper than buying the JB Weld) then do it as described and if there was ever a need to reverse the process to use the SCV again it could be easily done.

Thanks a Million guys! I’ve been trying to figure out how to get my carbs the most affordable way and you all came through. Im sure I’ll be back though 🤦‍♂️

If you want your carb. modified to eliminate the SCV the cost is $75.00 + carb gaskets & + shipping back to you. Where did you get your DS11??

Back