Carter YF vacuum issue

sixbangr

Just got a new Carter yf today. Can not get any vacuum except where the choke heat tube hooks up. Don't know if its something i did wrong or the carb is messed up. Anyone have an idea? It is on a 223 with a 240 points dizzy. It is a Chinese carb that had very good reviews, so i took a chance

Did you open up the carb base mounting of the 223 intake any? One of the most common things is using the wrong type of base gasket that doesn’t have the needed passageway going into the Carb Hole so then it just cant get any manifold vacuum signal. Good luck

The ported vacuum is probably not drilled into the carburetor bore. I matched up the location and size from my old carb and used a Dremel to drill the hole on my China carb. I had to remove the throttle blade and it still wasn't easy. Otherwise the carb works good out of the box.

The ported vacuum is probably not drilled into the carburetor bore. I matched up the location and size from my old carb and used a Dremel to drill the hole on my China carb. I had to remove the throttle blade and it still wasn't easy. Otherwise the carb works good out of the box.
Is the hole supposed to line up where the vacuum hose fitting is? I can see a small bump inside the bore that lines up with that fitting. i thought about drilling it out but seems like that would make it manifold vacuum. It would be under the throttle blade

Did you open up the carb base mounting of the 223 intake any? One of the most common things is using the wrong type of base gasket that doesn’t have the needed passageway going into the Carb Hole so then it just cant get any manifold vacuum signal. Good luck
I didn't change anything on the intake, still using the stacked gaskets, just used a new one under the carb. It has two passage ways on the bottom and they both have a groove that exits into the intake.

Do you have the original carb to measure the hole location (height and angle from the throttle shaft)? I measured from the base of the carb but had to adjust the height because the throttle shafts were at different heights from the carb base. The ported vacuum fitting should not have a slot in the gasket. It would have been easier to drill from the outside and seal the outside drill hole but I didn't have a fixture to do it accurately. I really just used the Dremel to "center punch" the hole with a small ball head diamond bit and basically drilled and reamed the hole by hand with a Dremel drill bit.

I don’t have another carb to look at, I am replacing a Holley 1904. My gasket does not have the slot and it covers one of the holes. Got it off eBay for $60, great deal if it will work

The hole on my old yfa with a 1.665" throttle bore is .054" diameter. .270" up from the center of the throttle shaft and 60 degrees over from the center of the throttle shaft.

Attachments

• 1643898517823-250474481.jpg
    1643898517823-250474481.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1643898613778223359654.jpg
    1643898613778223359654.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for your help. I double checked everything to be sure there was no hole. It just went from the tube to a hole in the base plate. It was covered by a gasket. I marked where it needed to go and pulled the throttle plate and drilled it. That tiny drill bit moved on me so it was a little to high so I shimmed the throttle blade with a piece of copper and it was just right. It works like it should, very happy right now. When the weather changes i will test it. THANKS

I assume you checked how well the throttle plate closes and adjusted it's placement when you tightened the screws with locktite. If it were me I would try it with out the shim first and see if the vacuum still comes on when you want it.

I did make sure the throttle blade worked as it should. I am pretty sure it needs the shim, the hole was at least half way showing without it.

Ok, good luck. I took accurate measurements for you but in my pictures I randomly opened the throttle quite a bit to show the holes location.

The cheap carb does work great out of the box besides the missing hole. I am just using the ported vacuum for egr and charcoal canister purge.

The cheap carb does work great out of the box besides the missing hole. I am just using the ported vacuum for egr and charcoal canister purge.
got it running, drove it a couple times, tweaked things a bit. Not good at all, idles great, revs great. But second and third both have a big bog from the start. Gets better when it gets going. Have not looked in the bowl to see how it is set up. Maybe I should

You will probally need to tune on the acelerator pump shot amount and duration. With a bigger Carb it maybe to much pump shot causeIng the bogging or it can also be from not enough of a shot. Check that the float level is right also. Best of luck

Both the float and the pump were way off. Just now drove it and it is almost perfect. Has a minor bog shifting into third. Will go back and put in a better screw for the metering rod adjustment. It has a slight bend when you get it where Mikes Carb says it should be. Many thanks for the help

Congratulationfs sixbanger! Since I think you are one of the very first to do one of these installs on a 223 six. Be sure to update us somemore when you can on how you like it's drivability and where your fianle tuning ends up at. This will be some good baseline info for any other site members that might want to try it on their 223 sixes. It should be a very good combo with your 240 six distributor swap. Best of luck

Back