All Small Six Cheap + Easy Starter Heat Shield

This relates to all small sixes

78_200_C4

Famous Member
The heat shield is bolted to the starter cover that was hammered lower to clear the #6 header pipe.
The starter would not install before the cover was hammered down.
The # 6 pipe has been hammered to give clearance also. The header pipe is tough stuff to dimple without out heating it red hot.
I only have a propane torch. The cover along with the shield can be removed from the starter with the header on. (this used parts starter has the bendix lever spring removed so the cover heat shield may be harder to remove on a starter with the spring in it.)

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    999.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Extra heat from headers should be expected. Nice simple fab idea appreciated. maybe sandwich some insul' between .. Which Headers are you using ? .

'63 / 170 with Hooker 6601' long tubes had no starter interference. Center link interference needing BFH "forming" .

6602's - Application for Maverick 250 V8 type bellhouse in the '61 needed more drastic "forming". The 250 accepts PMGR mini-starter for better starter clearance. 'Fabbd a teardrop hood for engine bay header heat release, especially after shutdown.

. .

have fun

The header is a cheap stainless ebay dual outlet with 2 2" pipes included which cost about $130.00.
I don't want a mini-starter as they move the solenoid close to the exhaust heat.
I don't expect much if any performance gain over a 68+ 2" outlet exhaust manifold, 2" exhaust pipe with a low restriction turbo muffler.
A single 2" exhaust pipe will support more horsepower than my large log 200 engine produces.

I remember my grandpa using exhaust wrap on an old cop car's starter when I was a kid. I wasn't really into cars at the time, so I don't know how well it worked. but figured it was worth a mention here as its about heat-protecting the starter.

I live in mi. that is cooler than the southern states, but it can still get hot in summer. I just have never had a starter problem related to heat, even with headers. I think that it is mostly a chevy problem.

X2 I spent most of my life in the southern Calif areas, where it can get plenty Hot still didn't have any trouble with Ford starters caused by exhaust system heat with or without Headers. However yes it was a real problem on the Chevy's and GM even made an accessory starter heat shield for them I installed a number of them for people.

ROTFL! When the # 6 header tube is resting on the starter it's not a Chevy or GM starter heat problem. It's not a Ford problem or a California heat problem.
Let's review part of the original post:
"The heat shield is bolted to the starter cover that was hammered lower to clear the #6 header pipe.
The starter would not install before the cover was hammered down.
The # 6 pipe has been hammered to give clearance also."

Last edited:
Let's review a post from 2013
HEADER STARTER INTERFERENCE.JPG

78_200_C4
It's an excellent idea to shield the starter, especially with the exhaust that close, and that's a nice clean fab you made. I don't think anyone is saying it's otherwise. However, if you've never been a Chevy guy, be glad that you haven't gone thru some of the infuriating moments that they offer due to starter heat!
. . . Family in the car, stop along the interstate for gas, and - the hot starter will not crank over the hot engine. There you are, wife fussing, and looking like a fool blocking the gas pumps. . . been there, done that.

I feel that my statement about ford versus chevy starters is true and sorry that you felt it was an attack on your shield.
I did not think your reply was an attack on my "#6 header pipe heat shield".
The heat shield I made has nothing to do with the make of the vehicle.
The poor quality header that is being sold for high starter 200's is common knowledge.
I bought my daughter a 1960 Implala 283 20+ years ago. It hat has never had a starter problem hot or otherwise.

78_200_C4
It's an excellent idea to shield the starter, especially with the exhaust that close, and that's a nice clean fab you made. I don't think anyone is saying it's otherwise. However, if you've never been a Chevy guy, be glad that you haven't gone thru some of the infuriating moments that they offer due to starter heat!
. . . Family in the car, stop along the interstate for gas, and - the hot starter will not crank over the hot engine. There you are, wife fussing, and looking like a fool blocking the gas pumps. . . been there, done that.
I have a 1960 Chevy Impala 283 sitting in my garage. It has never had a starter heat problem. My daughter drove this Chevy to High School and college then drove it for many years including trips from Missouri to California and back. This old Chevy always starts hot or cold.

I picked upa generic blow packed fiber 'starter heat shield'.
It wraped on w/a couple steel zip ties included in the 'kit'.
It is used w/the 1st mini/pmgr starter the jeep has ever gotten (current).
The last set of CI shorties currently dump there. I will put the supplied flanged
2nd pieces there to go to a Y bringing it down to a 3 ft section out thru the rocker
1/2 of which will B composed of bya 18 inch turbo muff.

Last edited:
Back