Electric fan install on a 200

66mustang0103

I have a 66 mustang with a inline 6 200. I already have a 2 row champion radiator but I would like to install an electric fan on a temperature switch. I have a fan but it will not fit do to clearances. I have about 2.5 inches of room between the radiator and the fan hub on the water pump.

My question is is how much cfm do you think I will need in order to keep my car cool on a hot day and what diameter? Because I can get a 9" fan that will pull around 2000 cfm or I can get a larger 12" fan that will pull about 1100 cfm that will fit, but I am not sure which route to go? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Josh

you need about 2800cfm to replace the stock engine driven fan completely. two ten inch fans pulling about 1400cfm each should do the trick. that is what i am going to go with on my fairmont.

If you dont mind PM when you get it done and let me know how it goes? I may go ahead and order 2 fans and try it as well. Although with all these people saying mechanical is way better Im skeptical now (Also posted on VMF). Thanks Josh

its going to be a while before i get to that project, i have others ahead of it.

Jackfish, on another post mentioned a dual fan for a ford contour or a mercury mystic.
I found a Dorman part #620-104.
I will check the dimensions to see if will fit my 67 Mustang.
Since i work at Advance Auto Parts this will be an easy task. This is a puller.
I presently have a single pusher & it will barely keep up to the task when temperatures reach over 90F.

As it turns out my radiator is just barely to small to fit two 10" fans. WSA111 do you happend to know what cfm those things pull and how big it is? That could could work. Thanks Josh

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-620-104-Ra ... B000C17G9K
I will check for more information.
51zs6Vs-HIL._SX425_.jpg

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314940

On my 67 Mustang, since i have a Scott Drake 3 core radiator the dorman fan is too thick. If i had the stock 2 core radiator it might work since the stock radiator is thinner.
The best deal is install an aluminum radiator with this fan.

I just visited a guy who was building a fox-body with a 351, totally whacked out.
I noticed he too had a contour/mytique fan, and said he swears by them.
Great performance and really thin.

Hey guys, is it right that there is a SHORT and long waterpump for the 200? I'm having a clearance problem too... I'm pretty sure I have the long water pump. How much shorter is the short one?
thanks!

i want to say i think there is, and it is probably a late model pump. as for the difference, i suspect it will be about 1/2" though that is just a guess.

One is 101.6 mm (4"), the other is 250 length, 114.3 mm (4-1/2").

Its exactly 1/2" longer.

The Aussie 200 water pump from 1971 is 250 length too, they did it to simply fan and ancillary placment, which was different on 200's untill 1978 Foxes.

See Rick Wrench's work on making the common 4" short pump work with the later Fox double pulley long pump http://www.rickwrench.com/index79.htm

11-05-03
Custom H20 Pulley
+ H2O pumps, and dampers - explained!

"As it turns out, the larger late damper is just big enough to interfere with most early H2O pump pulleys. If you are trying to install the early pump in an effort to save fan space with A/C, using a late damper, there will be issues.

Using a "heavy duty" three core stock size radiator originally left me very little room for a fan, when using the long pump/pulley combo to run an A/C compressor. My fan choices that actually fit (barely) were the stock 4 blade or a cut down aluminum blade fan. Niether of which did the job when the A/C was on, although the cut down fan was the better of the two."

xctasy":8rhc3oqb said:
One is 101.6 mm (4"), the other is 250 length, 114.3 mm (4-1/2").

Its exactly 1/2" longer.

The Aussie 200 water pump from 1971 is 250 length too, they did it to simply fan and ancillary placment, which was different on 200's untill 1978 Foxes.

See Rick Wrench's work on making the common 4" short pump work with the later Fox double pulley long pump http://www.rickwrench.com/index79.htm

11-05-03
Custom H20 Pulley
+ H2O pumps, and dampers - explained!

"As it turns out, the larger late damper is just big enough to interfere with most early H2O pump pulleys. If you are trying to install the early pump in an effort to save fan space with A/C, using a late damper, there will be issues.

Using a "heavy duty" three core stock size radiator originally left me very little room for a fan, when using the long pump/pulley combo to run an A/C compressor. My fan choices that actually fit (barely) were the stock 4 blade or a cut down aluminum blade fan. Niether of which did the job when the A/C was on, although the cut down fan was the better of the two."

looks like i was half right, just got the long and short of it reversed.

I tried the idea of an electric puller fan a while ago. There isn't enough room for even the thinnest fan. Then only option I found was the sidewinder fan with an offset motor. But, at $450 i ruled it out.

Currently, I am running a Northern Aluminum Radiator, A/C fan and shroud. The car runs cool even in 100 degree stopped traffic in Nevada. Also mounted a small electric pusher from a Mazda 3 in front of the radiator. Have it hooked to a sensor to come on if the car gets at ? Degrees. (forgot the setting). Plus a manual switch.

Well I got it to work! I post the fan I used below along with the switch. I used a 14" fan made by zirgo that pulls 27850 cfm. Since this fan is reversable the I mounted it as a pusher and reversed the polarity and the blade around. I tried it out today and the fan comes on at 200 and within less than a minute cools it down to 190. The fan does great idling, cant wait to see how it does going down the road.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hfm-zfu14s/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hfm-zfswa/overview/

I will update again when the weather gets warmer and I drive it some more. Thanks Josh

Back