All Small Six Guy @ work gave me a Carter RBS for my '60

This relates to all small sixes

karkev

Ford fella @ work gave me a Carter RBS carb he said he'd removed off a 200 six in a late 1960s Falcon years ago. He said the engine was bad but the carb was funky enough he wanted to hang onto it. I'd never seen or heard of them but it looks like Rambler, Ford and Jeep were fond of them for many years. Interwebs cursory search suggests they're fairly reliable. Would it be too much carb for my 144? Are re-jet kits made for them? Would it tie in fairly easily into my stock accelerator linkage?

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 14
it flows 215 cfm (if ford). I'd say "too big"
and
can not B easliy rejeted (pressed in jets).
It actually came in the 70s ina ford. Was fit earlier to other makes.

To learn what U have (may not even B ford/250 or 4.1 L as that's what it come on in '69 stang) by
holding up level w/face, looking for stamped (not cast) Lrt/# on the FLANGE (mount to head). I
took that # to Mike's Carbs (huge on-line resource) comparing till I found a match. The 1st RBS I got from a member
here wuz for a mowpor or other make and a 100 - 50 ci smaller motor. I now havea 4.1 ford on the bronk.

Check it out anyway U can. All ways know what U have 1st. Ur ck-in here isa good start, not done yet 8^ )

it flows 215 cfm (if ford). I'd say "too big"
and
can not B easliy rejeted (pressed in jets).
It actually came in the 70s ina ford. Was fit earlier to other makes.

To learn what U have (may not even B ford/250 or 4.1 L as that's what it come on in '69 stang) by
holding up level w/face, looking for stamped (not cast) Lrt/# on the FLANGE (mount to head). I
took that # to Mike's Carbs (huge on-line resource) comparing till I found a match. The 1st RBS I got from a member
here wuz for a mowpor or other make and a 100 - 50 ci smaller motor. I now havea 4.1 ford on the bronk.

Check it out anyway U can. All ways know what U have 1st. Ur ck-in here isa good start, not done yet 8^ )
Chad, thank you! No one i knew locally had even seen one! I'll probably hang onto it for wall hanging purposes but get a remanufactured stock one for my 144. Thank you, sir!

Mike's carburetor parts has a youtube video of rebuild. They absolutely have a main jet and tapered needle but no parts available. Very simple carb but rebuild kit with float is going to be $100 by the time you get it done. Mine has a screw in jet.

Attachments

• 20230206_190116.jpg
    20230206_190116.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
never heard of screw-in (dwn inside the body, ie "re-jet").
U mean "needle'n seat" ? He wants to go 2.35 or 144 w/this~

Yes the main jet is screw in with taper rod on power piston. You could drill the jet larger to have more effective diameter all thru range but no taper rod selections to alter step up enrichment. There also isn't a hanger or spring avaible to tune. Watch Mike's video. He actually soldered jet up and drilled smaller to lean it .

never heard of screw-in (dwn inside the body, ie "re-jet").
U mean "needle'n seat" ? He wants to go 2.35 or 144 w/this~
To clarify for op. The needle and seat is in the inlet fitting. That is easy access if sticking. Float is known to get heavy and needs replaced when rebuilding.

I consulted my copy of the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook and in the Carter carb section it mention that the RBS was used on the 250 and the YF on the 170 and 200. In the Autolite section it mentions the 1100s were used on the 144, 170, and 200. The 144 version had 130 cfm while the 170 had 156 cfm so if you could find one it should be an easy swap and possible performance increase, more so with ignition upgrade and proper tuning.

I think those Carter RBS Carbs were also used on the 200 Six's, they are a good carb and are excellent to use for cars that might have a lower Hood Line like all the 1970's Mavericks and Comets.

I don't think the Carter RBS will work on a 1960 144 with a Load'O'matic distributor.
"One and two barrel carbs are rated at 3 inches of pressure drop through the carb. while all four barrel carbs are rated at 1.5 inches of pressure drop, which is more accurate."
A 215 cfm one barrel carb. would flow 152 cfm at the 4 barrel rating.

Wow! Guys, thank you! I'd never seen or heard of one until the fella gave me this one. Sounds like the aftermarket supports it pretty solidly and it's not without it's proponents!

again - Get a POSITIVE ID on urs FIRST. They were in a few different
displacements (as well as makes). That might B 1st (B4 and mods toit). 8^ )

Back