Installing the Tri Power, Week 1

60s Refugee

I've driven the new set up now for a full week. Here's how she runs so far.

As some of you recall, I have had to block off Alpha and Charlie carbs 'cuz Alpha leaks. I still can't get ahold of anybody who can identify these carbs. Because of that, I can't order rebuild kits. The number stamped below the float bowl is GR 1833 B. I was told these were Holley 1921's but I can't find a listing of that type anywhere. A friend on this forum has sent me an Autolite he had, and I still need one more. I will rebuild it and which ever 'nuther one I can find and run three 1100's.

That DSII is great! It starts the instant you hit the key. The recurve seems to be working OK.

So...I'm still running on the center carb only. In spite of that, the performance is improved. The engine is maintaining a steady 750 RPM at idle with some very nice "lope". I have the static timing set at 10*. I intend to do up an advance curve after the carbs are on to see what that LoM vac is doing. I expect she's under carbed right now and maybe pulling some advance at higher RPMs. I can't really get an accurate test until I remedy that. I have noticed that it starves for fuel above the speed limit where, before the conversion, it would easily approach that triple digit speed (test runs only of course, I never speed just for the hell of it :roll: ).

With exception of the exhaust, the engine is quiet. No lifter noise or knocks. I do not notice any ping even though I filled it with regular. There is exhaust leak 'cuz of the temporary flex tube connections, but that will be cured with a new "H" pipe on Monday.

Gas mileage is pretty close to what it was, between 20 and 21 (combined) on the first tank. I realize that will go down a bit after the new carbs go on.

The pedal effort is still about normal. That linkage really does the job. I only need two light springs to return the throttles. I drove to Columbus yesterday and my ankle didn't get any more tired than usual.

Turbo mufflers are still a bit loud. They sound great though, don't get me wrong, and at 4 lane interstate speed they mellow out into a nice tone. My wife hates the noise and thinks the neighbors will call the cops on us :p.

So far the header nuts are staying tight. I don't know how they can, but they are. The left rear valve cover wing nut backs off and has to be tightened every two days. I won't tolerate that for long.

I've found some great low profile air cleaners from K&N. They have a rubber neck/hose clamp mount thing sized for 2 1/16" (autolite 1100 size). They have a provision for a breather tube. I plan to get a set, get a breather with a fitting on it, and run a tube to Bravo carb. That might reduce the oil film that used to escape the breather. So far with this new set up I haven't seen much escape. Oil is still clean like new and I'm sure that the larger Purolater filter helps keep it that way.

I really need those lower gears in the diff. Though the engine is peppy, it still doesn't want to burn out. I still have the stock 14" skinny tires. Though I get a good firm shift into second and third, I blame the C-4 to a certain extent, but the diff gears are the original two seventy somethings in the factory 7 1/4" housing. Guess I won't try any burn outs at the Cruise-in next weekend! My priority will be gears next, stall converter after that.

Harry

Are you sure you cant power brake it. I have the original 2.83 gears and posi in my diff and if i power break it I can light both of em' right up. Thats with a 2bbl headers and dsII.
Dan

I should try harder at the power braking, I guess. Today will be a good day for that while I try to run down another 1100. But, you have one more bbl than I do right now and I think that's the real issue, I'm way short on carbs!

Harry

60s Refugee":3ayr98de said:
OK, I spun 'em this afternoon. :eek: . I just wasn't trying hard enough before.

Harry

woohoo

did you get the 1100 yet? btw i just realized we have pretty much the same build, except that im using webers. whats your CR?

Not yet. The rebuild kit comes in on Tuesday. as near as I can figure the CR is in the high nines. Could have made it higher, with flat top pistons and extended core plugs, but I figure this should do.

I like Webers. Might just be what I ask for from Santa this year!

Harry

Back