Low budget EFI/NOS project.

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
Wed afternoon I got a call from Spectre Performance in Ontario CA, asking CI for a little help with a project they were working on with Hot Rod Magazine. Spectre purchased a 74 Maverick with a 200ci motor and decided to install their new EFI/NOS system on it. The project was very low budget, for a very specific reason, so it was more or less just tossed together form parts they had lying around, or could purchase cheap. Classic Inlines donated a used header and a new 264-10 cam, which needed to be hand delivered to get it there by Thursday am.

Last week, they did the baseline dyno and some 1/4 mile runs with the stock motor, and with the EFI/NOS added. The motor only has 20K miles since rebuild, but has a severely scored piston in one cylinder causing some major blowby and loss of compression in that cylinder. When I got there Thursday morning, they went straight to work installing the new cam and headers, and still managed to do a few dyno pulls that evening.

Friday morning they buttoned it up and we headed off to LACR so they could do some comparison runs. We got to the track around 2pm and unloaded the Maverick. We made two passes without juice, and then attempted to make a pass with a 35 shot of NOS. Unfortunately, the solenoid decided to take a dump, and with no spare, we had to run without juice the rest of the evening. :cry:

Next week, they plan to install a new solenoid and take it back to the track for testing (probably Fontana). The plan is to add NOS in increments, up to a 250 shot, so I was disappointed I didn't get to see it. But they told me they would send me pics, and copies of the time slips and dyno pulls when they’re done.

The article will be in the Nov issue of Hot Rod, and should be pretty interesting to anyone considering either fuel injection or nitrous.

We will be working with them over the next two months, building a new motor with EFI/NOS and a turbo, helping with the install, and getting it tuned and tested. The car will then head off to Illinois mid Sept, for Hot Rods Drag Week. For those who don't know what that is, basically the car must be street legal and driven to five different tracks, in five different cities, over the five day event. The idea is to produce as much power as possible, yet maintain reliability and drivability, as no support vehicles are allowed. You either make it, or you don't. I'm not sure how they do the scoring, and come up with the winners? But it should be a blast.

I'll be posting a lot of info on the EFI/NOS system, as its based on a megasquirt design, is loaded with features, very reasonably priced, and is super easy to tune (for even a novice installer). We'll be working with Spectre Performance developing programs for various inline setups. So all the customer needs to do is install the system, download the appropriate program from either their website our ours, and upload it into the onboard computer. The programs can even be shared between users.

The project we were working on yesterday was to determine how much juice a stock motor could handle before coming apart, and to determine what was going to let go first. Which is one reason why it was a low budget build. They also planned to swap in a V8, but had so much fun with the inline, they convinced themselves to keep going with it. Well, maybe we had a little to do with it. :roll:

Unfortunately, the NOS part of the project was delayed until next week. But I did get to see first hand, how much is gained with a mild cam and a set of headers. It was pretty impressive. However, I've been asked not to publish any of the test results, for obvious reasons. I can say, it was in excess of 30%and before adding the cam, they couldn't get the rear wheels to light up.

spectre1m.jpg

spectre3m.jpg

spectre4m.jpg

spectre7m.jpg

spectre9m.jpg

Sweet. Nice looking Maverick too!

How much do those weigh?

I am especially interested because I would love to run a Megasquirt setup.

That's alright,Mike :D ! What a shame the track will soon be history though :unsure: . Still,I've heard that the track itself has never really been the best place to race,what with CONSTANT cleaning(dirt/sand/grit blowing all over the track,it IS near a Quarry...)which was needed. My brother was out there a couple of times and he said,it was'nt a Track you'd take a high powered(low-9-second..)car. So,that's ANOTHER 'Track GONE for Californians :cry: :unsure: :x . Still,they finished 'Drag-City' a little over a year ago. Like the Mav,Mike. At last,a Six-Cylinder project-car which WON'T get a V8 swap on down the line :p :cool: :nod: :wrench: (y) :party: :checks: !! ~OO6.

When they first purchased the car, they were planning to do a V8 swap. That's why Hot Rod suggested doing the NOS until it blew. Figured they might as well do something worthwhile before pulling the six.

However, they had so much fun working on it, they decided it would be fun to run Drag Week with a turbocharged six with EFI & NOS. Classic Inlines is going to co-sponsor the car, by providing the motor and our expertise. Will & Kelly's experience will be invaluable to a succesful project.

I'm really looking forward to it, but it doesn't give us much time to build the motor. About three weeks, start to finish. Thankfully I already have a short block at the machine shop. Sounds like another REALITY show. You know, behind schedule, a deadline to meet, and everyone scrambling to get it done, just in the nick of time. :D

It sounds like a good project, and I look forward to reading more about it. Was there any talk about switching to one of the new aluminum heads down the road?

By the way, I visited the Spectre Performance web site. Navigating it was a bit like playing a really bad video game. It was full of special effects, but the effects just got in the way of getting to the information I was looking for and after a very short time (like about 15 seconds) they became highly annoying. I was able to figure out that the company has some interesting project cars, and probably some interesting products, but I so hated digging through their web site that I wouldn't go back there to look for them.

I guess it's a matter of taste, but if you ask me using fancy flash animations to present a products catalog is a bit like making a custom lowrider out of a 4x4 truck with the intention of using it for rock crawling. It demonstrates a complete failure to grasp the functionality needed and a willingness to spend a lot of time and money on all the wrong kinds of technology for the task at hand.

By comparison, I think the Classic Inlines web site is terrific. It's quick, simple and straight forward, and it presents a lot of information without forcing me to put up with a lot of unnecessary, bandwidth-hogging, animated "eye-candy" or a repetitive background audio track that does nothing whatsoever to tell me about their products and serves only to demonstrate for me the web designer's taste in music and his willingness to impose it upon everybody with whom he comes in contact.

But maybe that's just me.

/sigh

Mike, that sounds like a really cool project. I am very interested to see how that goes and what the performance numbers are. ;)

Mike, thanks for the info post.....

on the EFI set-up photos;

holy crap!....... they have plenty of stuff plugged into the intake throttle body setup! 8)

Crosley":1kl36qd2 said:
Mike, thanks for the info post.....

on the EFI set-up photos;

holy crap!....... they have plenty of stuff plugged into the intake throttle body setup! 8)

I just noticed, those are six injectors. They could be moved to the runners on the new head. 8)
I don't think I have ever seen a port injected throttle body.
This is a project to keep an eye on. :unsure:

We haven't decided on the precise details, but we will definitely be using the aluminum head and 4V intake on this motor. For Drag Week, we'll need all the power we can muster.

IIRC ...The six injectors are for NOS, the main injector is for fuel. Or vice versa. Talk about a sleeper. Use an early falcon or something similar, build the motor with their injection setup, the bottle, and an oz head (or paint one of the new ones to look like a factory head) :eek: :eek: Talk about embarrasing a V8 or two.

I like the injector caps....I assume those are billet with clips to hold them on?

what is holding the injectors in place? just the lower o-rings I take it? that part kinda scares me...one comes loose and fuel all over the place....hello fireball

I figured they were a screw-threaded base. Same fire hazard thoughts had me going.

AzCoupe":2b91vpi0 said:
We haven't decided on the precise details, but we will definitely be using the aluminum head and 4V intake on this motor. For Drag Week, we'll need all the power we can muster.

That thing is going to scoot like a scalded cheetah. Maybe not into drag chute territory, but fast enough to raise more than a few eyebrows when people learn there is an old inline six under the hood. Kind of like Kelly's Car.

:)

Our goal is to build a motor that's reliable enough for a daily driver, but able to run an 11.99 index. We can turn the boost down for the street driving, so I'm only worried about overheating. The rest is cake. ;)

Back