MegaSquirt?

I've heard nothing but good things about it...a cheap, easy to program engine management system. Uses mostly cheap GM sensors and wiring harnesses. Very flexible and powerful. About the only thing it can't do is true sequential injection...but that's usually not really needed anyhow.

8) i say yes, as you dont need a single use item like a flash reprogramer. you can use your desktop, or better a laptop to program the megasquirt.

Few things I need to know before I run witht the sissors :unsure:

The 4 speed auto ('90s) is computer controlled isnt it?
Seperate computer or controlled by the eec?

Am I gonna beable to get away with using the megasquirt and nothing else?
Dont need fords computer for anything?

Project is, XA wagon with EA 3.9 and auto with an EL Manifold and distributer.

8) depends on what automatic you use. if you use the AOD, then no it is not eletronically controlled. the AOD-E and later od automatics are though, and require a stand alone controller if you are eliminating the ford eec system. bauman has the needed controller. the megasquirt can be a stand alone unit, or for a few dollars more you can get one with an ignition control also.

Umm, whatevers bolted to the 3.9 in the EA Fairmont...

And, just had a thought, the 3.9 tbi head, is that gonna have the little notches in the ports for the injectors?

Yeah, they've all got notches.

The Megasquirt is Bankfire, like the GM 3800 engined 3.8 Commodore before Ecotech. So two groups of 3 Injectors fire at the same time. All Falcons are sequential, so the MS is tecniucally a minus. What makes the set-up so good is that you end up with on line help all over the world, from quite a few X-flow owners (One of the Mods has an XF with the MS set-up)

It is much easier to controll a bank fire system, as the electronics are simple. The disadvantages are a slower start-up, and some issues with the later BTR LE 85's which were hooked up to Fords darstardly SmartLock.

Yous doesn't run a US gearbox, but the controller is similar to the AOD-E on later Falcons, and unless you've got a good mate, the electronics prevent EF/EL/AU engines running a Megasquirt. The EEC system is state of the art, with the finest minds skilled in craftiness. If your gonna get into the whole MegaSquirt thing, go for it!

Your smart enough to make one work. It isn't better than what was already there, though, just easier to control. Much easier!

what gets me about the megasquirt, is how much it can be tweaked.
What are the tweecers like? Recommend over the factort eec or megasquirt?

Can you tell me more about the box, the AOD-E?

I don't have any experience with computer process unit kits because they require a full knowledge of the systems. The more I read, the less I like modifications to them unless its a fully sorted system which has a proven track record.

The rule with anything electronic, is that if it hasn't been done before, run. Or stand and fight by feeding it 10 dollar bills and your own hard work and that of other experts untill it does!

With the stock EEC and the aftermarket Megasquirt, there is sucessfull postive proof that say they work.

Any change must be to fix a problem.

Basic knowledge I have is:-

The aftermarket EEC stuff, like Crane Interceptors and Tweecers, are dedicated control boxes which probably could be made to work with the Aussie EEC's. All the fault codes and communication types are defined in the USA, so the systmes have to suit many EEC3, 4 or 5 set-ups, bank fire or sequential. Don't know for sure what info you need when ordering.

Trans American slushbox:-

The US AOD-E was a broadly updated, electronically managed replacement for the 1980 to 1989 AOD first generation Four stage auto. Any AOD, AOD-E, or later US Ford gearbox is bascially AOD, except the French designed Explorer 4- and 5 speed autos, which are juast beafed up C3's.

The AOD-E is sort of an FMX with an alloy case and really well sorted aftermarket support. It can hack 800 hp with modifications, but stock, they are pretty limited unless you go for the Baumanator or Dallas electronic controller, and upgraded the input shaft. They are designed for a Ford small block, they only fit US engines, like the Windsor, Cleveland, early 400's and 429's and Romeo OHC V8 engines.

Forget US transmissions for a while. The Aussie sixes and US v8's have different bellhousing patterns, and the AOD-E bellhousing won't come off unless you gasaxe it.

(Although, seeing how smart you engineering skills are, I'd say you'd be able to slap one on in a week!) :cry: :p ;) :idea:

xecute®™© he he":sfurvbmc said:
Yeah, they've all got notches.

The Megasquirt is Bankfire, like the GM 3800 engined 3.8 Commodore before Ecotech. So two groups of 3 Injectors fire at the same time. All Falcons are sequential, so the MS is tecniucally a minus.

It is much easier to controll a bank fire system, as the electronics are simple. The disadvantages are a slower start-up, and some issues with the later BTR LE 85's which were hooked up to Fords darstardly SmartLock.

Yous doesn't run a US gearbox, but the controller is similar to the AOD-E on later Falcons, and unless you've got a good mate, the electronics prevent EF/EL/AU engines running a Megasquirt.

The first falcon to have sequential injection was the AU. XE==>EL 6cyls were ALL bank fired.

The BTR LE85 was only avalable in EA2's and EB1's.
EB2-EL's have LE92/95/97's.

The BTR's control has nothing to do with smartlock

BTR was controled by a TCU for the EA2 and EB1's. EB2==>EL it was intergrated into the ECU.

MS2 onto EF/EL is a piece of cake, ive seen it done on a mates car, runs 10x smoother, more power, better economy so much so that mine is ariving this wednesday. Kiss EECV crap good bye baby.

I wouldnt recommend the megasquirt you linked to in your first post. That is the old version. The Megasquirt 2 V3.0 is the latest version and is where all the development is focused now.

Best way to find out about it is to download the software and have a play.

Check out the Forum...almost too much info to gather!

http://www.msefi.com

The version 3 is is equipped with a Controlled Area Network system as well as the many many other types of goodies....i trust it, it never skipped a beat when i used the version 2.2 on my Ford for 2 years...

Back