All Small Six Need Help Finder a Starter Motor for my 170ci Bronco Build

This relates to all small sixes

Drive67Bronco

I am doing a ground up restoration on a 1967 Bronco. It came with the 170 ci I-6 and the three speed manual transmission. The Bronco will eventually be for my Mother as she has always wanted an early Bronco. I have put a C4 auto behind the restored 170 because my mother cannot drive stick and I wanted to keep the original motor in it. I am running into a bunch of hurdles trying to get this 170ci/c4 combo to work as the Bronco never came in this configuration. At least it never had to my knowledge. I have the Engine and C4 mounted to the frame right now after a little bit of a struggle to find the right bellhousing/backing plate/torque converter to fit. Now I cannot for the life of me find the proper starter motor for this set up. I would have thought a mustang or falcon would have had a 170 and c4 and maybe I would find the starter that way, but again I am having no luck. Can any one point me in the right direction? The bellhousing has three bolt holes for the starter and the torque converter has the ring gear on it with 132 teeth I believe. Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Ford Six Forum Drive67Bronco, the starter for your combo is fairly easy. All the Falcon & Comets 144's & 170's from 1960 to 1964 with a Ford O or Merc O / Matic Auto Trans used that 3 Bolt starter and torque converter with a 132 tooth Ring Gears also all the 1965 170 & 200 Six's and up with a C4 Auto Trans are the same 132 Tooth Ring Gear's. So you can ask for a Starter for a 1965 Mustang with a 170 or 200 Six and a C4 Auto Trans. Best wishes.

there might B an 'intermediate' & output for this app. It goes B4 the D20 and against the C4.
Got that piece now? It will not come w/neither the tranmis or x-fer (usually as bronk only).
May B she just wants 2 WD? (mmm... U might still need it.)
This is just a pic, I Do Not endorse this place. There R bout a doz or 2 "vendors' for this particular ol ford6 vehicle.
BCB's, Jeff's. WH, Duff's, etc. I use this pic as it's got all 5 prts needed. Keep the list as we who own older stuff find we need the big box stores on speed dial but these specality shops are even more important in the pinch (all ways expensive - we chat on line to get Y/M/M swap ins at the big box (AutoZone, etc) as they're less expensive there, forums like us can help you assemble rather than the vendeor's kits (again saving $).

W E L C O M E !!! more i6 in bronks, more bronks on ford6... yeah, I like it~

there might B an 'intermediate' & output for this app. It goes B4 the D20 and against the C4.
Got that piece now? It will not come w/neither the tranmis or x-fer (usually as bronk only).
May B she just wants 2 WD? (mmm... U might still need it.)
This is just a pic, I Do Not endorse this place. There R bout a doz or 2 "vendors' for this particular ol ford6 vehicle.
BCB's, Jeff's. WH, Duff's, etc. I use this pic as it's got all 5 prts needed. Keep the list as we who own older stuff find we need the big box stores on speed dial but these specality shops are even more important in the pinch (all ways expensive - we chat on line to get Y/M/M swap ins at the big box (AutoZone, etc) as they're less expensive there, forums like us can help you assemble rather than the vendeor's kits (again saving $).

W E L C O M E !!! more i6 in bronks, more bronks on ford6... yeah, I like it~

Hey! I have the adapter from advanced adapters already mounted to the c4, I am about the get the rebuild Dana 20 bolted up to that.

Hi and welcome to the Ford Six Forum Drive67Bronco, the starter for your combo is fairly easy. All the Falcon & Comets 144's & 170's from 1960 to 1964 with a Ford O or Merc O / Matic Auto Trans used that 3 Bolt starter and torque converter with a 132 tooth Ring Gears also all the 1965 170 & 200 Six's and up with a C4 Auto Trans are the same 132 Tooth Ring Gear's. So you can ask for a Starter for a 1965 Mustang with a 170 or 200 Six and a C4 Auto Trans. Best wishes.

I will take a look thank you

check the pic for fun...

I would try a 2 bolt 78 Fairmont 200 automatic transmission C4 starter.
The 2 bolt starter will bolt in place of a 3 bolt starter.

any luck?
The bronk hada item specific transmis pan on that C4.

Last edited:
up dates 132 tooth FW? (nuttin @ 1 mo, now 6mo...

I called a friend that owns a junk yard. He said “oh you need an old ford three bolt starter”. Then mailed me this. I dunno the brand or part number or anything.. seems to fit. Have yet to try to see if it engages the T/C teeth and turn the motor.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpeg
    IMG_1235.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
I called a friend that owns a junk yard. He said “oh you need an old ford three bolt starter”. Then mailed me this. I dunno the brand or part number or anything.. seems to fit. Have yet to try to see if it engages the T/C teeth and turn the motor.
3 bolt or the newer 2 bolt should not be the issue.
You want a starter nose that has clearance slots for the converter studs.
I have ran a 78 Fairmont 200 2 bolt "automatic" starter on both a 65 + 78 200. Both with a C4.
Rockauto lists 78 Fairmont starters as Manual or Automatic.
The last Rockauto starter I bought was the cheapest one with a low core charge which I paid.
It worked great.
Shipping charges most likely have increased since I bought my starter so you may want to find a starter elsewhere.

When I put the starter in I noticed the slots you are describing. I even have the crank a few rotations to make sure the T/C studs did not interfere

that’s great in my mind - inexpensive, easily sourced again’n durable. Top points in my life (esp if not customizing anything).
Thnx for da pic. I lov pic! Also the brass FP & (may B) ford ‘corporate’ blue for motor. Its the lill darker one, but it might just
B the light. Do U have what U need for the C-4? TV cable kick down valve body whatever? Did U C all that on the Grenade-a?
Remember my comment on the different bronco-exclusive pan-fill model ?

that’s great in my mind - inexpensive, easily sourced again’n durable. Top points in my life (esp if not customizing anything).
Thnx for da pic. I lov pic! Also the brass FP & (may B) ford ‘corporate’ blue for motor. Its the lill darker one, but it might just
B the light. Do U have what U need for the C-4? TV cable kick down valve body whatever? Did U C all that on the Grenade-a?
Remember my comment on the different bronco-exclusive pan-fill model ?

I have a rebuilt C-4 from Performance Automatic mounted to the 170. I do not have any linkage or fill tube.

Back