Non cross flow log head performance 200 cube

xctasy

5K+
VIP
From posting.php?mode=edit&f=1&p=544353

xrwagon":2ke4jzb6 said:
Thanks mate, i have access to a 72 XA falcon 250 log head, still on running motor, think this would be a better head to take the saw to than my 67 200 head? Would a direct bolt on be a good idea on my new bottom end to at least get the cam broken in, then mod the head.

I don't wanna post hog, so I'll start another thread.

The whole performance scene has to consider port on port induction and sizing the whole system to suit a target rpm range. EFI engines do this by design, and the alloy head XE Falcon heads were designed for BMW style EFI, and made easy 350 hp ratings with 12 pound of boost and 1.3" ports.The whole system during the Mike Vine and AIT and Bensons and Mike Hall turbocharging era was about making the Garret T3 60 turbo cover off a restrictive system. To this day, people like Does10's and others think a restrictive set up, makes more turbo boost and drg times, but actually power is the same EFI or carb,it has a minumum venturi size, and if not doen right, it will fail to yeild the power in the right part of the rev range.

For turbo or non turbo, the right head is the one which fits the cam. I'd use the 250 head for a start, then go back to the small log.

I don't like the large ports unless they are being filled up with equal portions of air and fuel. David Vizard and Kenneth Duckworth were right, Detroit and its too big ports in the canted valve Cleveland 335 and Lima 385 era were always necking down the port size because they'd gone to big.

See what too small little 9 port and 12 port converted Holden186 and 202 heads do, and the Ford 170 200 ports are then quite big. Or what Ford did with the small ports in the alloy head 1980 XD to 2002 AU engines...port area was very small because it was all about shape and short turn radius, and swirl. The Classic Inlines goes on another step, and mixes mixture motion with cfm to get off the scale power from a 4-bbl, but one venturi per port will allow a 15% smaller port than the Classic inlines with no loss on power if done right.

I started building my 6-bbl carb adaptor on the log head because the only parts not doing there job were the intake manifold ports. The exhast can be made to flow 65 to 80% of intake, and the cams around can cope with everything else. Its the lack of detonation with the non cross flow, non canted valve head, and access to good valve material, valve quality, and sizing the cam to suit the application that make these engines cheapand easy. The cost of good Cleveland valve parts and gun gear is expensive, and alloy heads can pull out studs and need more time and attention on valve gear. The canted valve heads are rougher than the non cross flow heads, and that shakes the old crank, block and camshaft, and on a high performance Ford, you don't want the grief of cam failures due to vibration.

The X-flow turboed is more like a AVESCO 5000 cc engine, and needs to be very carefully researched...mike, you will have absolutely no problem doing sub 10's or lower with a turbo EFI 250 because there is so much unshroaded valve curtian area. George's Cortina when he had it proved that a nice big 291 degree cam under boost would just incinerate everything, Cleveland 351 style, at the drop of a hat.

Iron Ford six heads are like Windsor iron 289 heads, you have to do a lot of carefull work to get them to do anything. They are more alolng the lines of Torana style items, which just need a lot of duration, and a lot of Weber/Dellorto style venturi matching to come close to an X-flow or Classic Inlines, but that's what they used to do in the 60's, the Peter Brock era, a little 200 cube engine was really happy with triple 2" HD8 Jag or Aston Martin carbs flowing 265 cfm at 1.5" each, and just a cam reving to 6500 rpm, and you had a fun 250 hp with ease.

When looking at the top flight Hemi 265 with 294 hp net at 5500 rpm from triple 45 mm Webers with 40 mm chokes, it had port areas up to 2.2 sq in, and 1.96" intakes on a 3.91" bore engine. To match that, a little 202 Holden had to rev 30% higher to 7200 rpm, but it was perfectly safe with the good hi silocon cast pistons, the low load stress solid lifter cams and excellent quality valves and rods. And a set old DCOE 45's made an E49 style power peak.

A 3.68" bore 200 engine with the right stuff can match those E49 power figures, reliably with that Holden style Aussie know how. As I keep saying, if Crosely can do 205 hp at 5300 rpm with just cast pistons and rods and hundreds of sub 16 second C4 passes, then with Street Sedan style technolgy from the dark ages, you can go to 250 and 300 hp with an extra 1500 to 1900 rpm. US Pinto racers have been putting out that much with normally aspirated 2300's and C4's and 5:1 geared 8" diffed rides for ages.

It's a no brainer!

As for a final cap off to what down sizing the packages does and how independent runner intakes do the work, go buy back issues of the July 1977 and November 1981 Wheels Trans Australia 80 and 90 mph (not including stops) 2648 mile Sydney to Melborne runs. That was like 130 KM/H

130wheels375.jpg

See http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/ind ... pic=3851.0

First year was 32 hours 58 minutes in a 4-speed single rail 4-bbl dual exhast 207 hp 302 Clevleand with 34 US gallon tank, doing something like 7 US mpg gallon at that average. Then the Alfa Romeo Alfetta got an auxilary tank for 33 gallons total (51 lites plus 70) and got it down to 29 hrs and 14 minutes, 5 seconds, or 90 mph average exluding fuel stops. And did 13.6 US miles per gallon. The saving in fuel was more in having 2500 pounds rather than 3800 to push, and a 20% drop in frontal area, but that little engine did the same low 17's hugh 16's quarter mile time, and when a TurboDelta turbo charger was added in one Wheels 1982 RX-7/ Alfetta/ Starion/ 944 Comparo it when right to into the 15.8second bracket with low boost and no modsexcept for 7:1 compresion ratio, oil cooler and a few non engine performance mods.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/ind ... pic=5716.0

The counter point is that the USA were going the European high performance route with the Foxes, Mustangs and Capris, but then suddenly it looked like that was then gonna take out the Windsor and replacing it with a Mazda 626 Turbo based car, so suddenly the incensed public forced Ford to back track to the 5.0. The 2.3 got a spice up, but the Mustang, Capri and T bird and even Merkur customers were voting with the feet becasue it never had the torque, and then the engine that Edsel Ford II said they'd like to see in the US got sidelined. Its now getting rediscovered,and no matter what head, you can make it soar into the 200 to 300 hp bracket with suppreme ease!

All this is about how it was in 1980's, everyone was dropping independent runner Ferrari, Maserati engines, and Alfa US engines were Spica injected for emissions reasons. But they were really something. And that's where the cluey Six cylinder guys are heading, grabing period 60's, 70's and 80's Box top Falcons and Foxes, shoving in the oddest hi performance Inline six Ford engine ever made, and then just sort of...go wucking futts.

8) port velocity is just as important as port size, but it depends on what the engine is going to be used for. for instance, the four barrel cleveland heads were designed to be high rpm power makers, which they do nicely thank you. ford wanted the cleveland to scream at 9000 rpm because they could see the direction racing, specifically nascar and nhra, was going. and they were way ahead of the curve, as noted by the bud moore "mini motors" running with the big blocks in the early 70s, and bob glidden and gapp and rousch cleaning up in pro stock racing, in fact in 1978 glidden was undefeated in both nhra ans ahra pro stock racing with a 32-0 record over all, and he backed the nhra championship with a plymouth arrow in 79. the big port heads also helped glidden dominate pro stock when the nhra changed their rules to set a 500ci limit on all cars, and no more weight breaks.

however large ports do hurt low end and mid range performance because port velocity and quality of flow is rather poor.

as for turbocharging, boost pressure doesnt always build more power. there again port flow and the quality of that flow is also important. there has been testing done that showed that when you put better flowing heads on a forced induction engine, even though you lose boost pressure, the horsepower goes up due to the better low in the ports.

one more thing though, with port EFI where you can tightly control the air/fuel mixtures, smaller ports can be a hindrance than a help as velocity is less important compared to overall flow.

So for my old wagon and wanting to keep the original 46 year old motor (no i am not getting another one) is it sacrilege to put a crossflow head on or an act of genuis to be able to extract as much aspirated HP as possible and still use a 46 year old 200 as the basis.

it's ur car, hope U do w/it what U want, bro.
W/the X-Flow mod it will still be aloud in the races?

xrwagon":36bje2ei said:
So for my old wagon and wanting to keep the original 46 year old motor (no i am not getting another one) is it sacrilege to put a crossflow head on or an act of genuis to be able to extract as much aspirated HP as possible and still use a 46 year old 200 as the basis.

8) that depends, are you just taking the easy way out?

i race in Nostalgia Street, it only changes when you go power adder or outlaw radial. Or when i race at Six Banger nats all classes allow as long as its a six. Its a quandary i know, try to extract the most from a log (sawn off log head) or adapt another head, either 2V, alloy Classic inline or go for all out crossflow, either way the 46 year old short motor forms the basis for the rest. Recently i have seen turbo 250’s, barra’s not even come close to aspiarted 250’s on the strip, especially the eighth mile. Tuff street car first, drag race is second. I’ll work it out, will happen soon. Watch for my thread, when i start my thread it will be after the engine is out and stripped.

Just a though but if you are going to cut the log off wouldn't an early (log head) like from a 170 have the better combustion chamber and flow for a custom intake?

Unsure, i was asking the same thing about a 250 XA Falcon log head, as far as i knew the carb flange was a different size but this does not matter as the manifold is gonski, i have already been to the machine shop to get this figured out, have the articles detailing the cut off log and had this cut off log head on hold but the guy sold it on me.

I remember that Ak Miller used to like the 170 heads and it was said that N/A they had better flow, corse they also are a little smaller combustion chamber size so might not be the best if you plan on going with a turbo.

It's all a balancing act like with all non cross flow wedge engines. The Gatt brothers discussed this at length in the erly 90's, and its best to go over the holden archives for 9 and 12 port heads.

http://www.oldjohnno.id.au/page14.html

http://www.oldjohnno.id.au/page15.html

Shape is more important than size. When the old 9 port head was converted to 12port with aluminuim wing dividers as opposed to the push in tube, the head didn't suffer from insufficent port area, and so the smaller head can work. But don't do it first, because first, you need to get the cam and induction spot on.

The head has to tend towards a high ported arrangment like the Air Craft Castings made version of the ill fated Irving Bennett head

http://streetmachinemag.typepad.com/pho ... g_0900.jpg

http://streetmachinemag.typepad.com/pho ... holden.jpg

It's a certainty that the 1962 to 1972 small chamber 52 cc 170 cylinder head, in both big log or small log heads, flowed 30% extra than the same larger chamber 58 to 62 cc 200/250 head, despite a reduced curtain area. With just the 1.65" intakes, in its large log form, it was about 125 cfm at 28" H20. That is the same as the later big log US heads with the 1.75" intake valve. Its to do with the proximity of the cylinder head walls to the valve, which helps air flow without shrouding. If you add 1.75" valves, you then loose the gain do to shrouding. If you use the 250 Aussie log head with its bigger valve guides, you don't gain air flow and in stock form loose compression, but you gain in port area.

The way to restore cfm to it is to deshroud the larger chambers, then you can go to bigger valves, but you'll then have lower compression.

The point is that 253/308 stock Holden sizes are as big as you'd go on a non cross flow, and they are like Pontiac engines, they just don't respond to huge valves.

The best option is to deck a common old 250 head, and you'll be able to fit whatever carb or injection you choose. The smaller log heads like our XR 200 engines have the 1.125" intakes, and need bore bar or die grinder run through them to get close to the 1.3" diameter that would work best. You can open up the cast log easily to get to it if you going to go triple or six carb.

The old XU1 202 engines had the very same issues. They ran the raggard edge of the design by Dyno Dave Benett and Harry Firth techniques.

just added
1. better quality pistons that wouldn't loose there heads under high rpm,
2. rods which didn't chuck a mental at 7500 rpm,
3. longer duration cams with low load stress and moderate lift,
4. bigger and better carburation that was optimized to the rev range and higher compression and
5. better exhasts to make up for it.

The eventual Bathurst 12000 heads were just 161 castings rework by CNC. Those Yella Terra heads didn't have the huge later YT bigger valves. 12 port versions were smaller in port area, and worked great with 6-bbl Weber DCOE 45's, but even with 237 hp, the winning Torana at Bathurst only had 3 barrels of the carbs employed, and made less hp than Peter Brocks 1967 Austin A30.

The secrete is getting port on port carburation and the right sized venturis or injection, and then the intakes and exhasts can employ either an enlarged port 170/200 small chamber head, or the stock 250 Aussie Log.

Your gonna be hogging things out to suit, so start with a common XA head, and use it to hang the carbs that allow you to get the hp you need.

If a cammed and 500 Holley'd 200 can do 205 hp at 5300 rpm with C4 and a big D7 or E0 head, then you need to aim for to 50 extra horses port on port. To get to 295 hp, you need to copy the 12 port Bathurst 1200 valve sizes, HX or 392 Wade cam specs that Dick Johsnton used in his XU1 and XD Falcon, and build it around a set of 40 mm carb venturis. The cylinder head port can be less than the venturi size as log as its gradual and the ports long side radius is the same area.

articles i have are 144 engines, one with triple’s on log, one blown paxton with triples and another is the full monty, cut off log and Stu Hilborn injection, woohoo and this was 1960

Back