Oil pressure

fmiral

Hi all! Would anyone know why my oil pressure when I start the car sits at 40 psi but then gradually goes down to 20 psi as I drive? Could it be related to the fact that I revved the car up to 4500 and the radiator burst with coolant? I replaced the radiator since then and it's been working fine. My car is a 68 mustang with manual transmission. Thank you!

Hi fmiral, and welcome to the Ford Six forum! It is very normal for the engines oil pressure to be substantially higher when a cold engine is first started up and as the oil and the engine warm up the oil pressure will go down some. The other things that will determine what the running oil pressure is on an engine are it's mechanical condition such as the bearing clearances, and or parts wear, and the weight grade of the oil you are using. Best of luck

Thank you so much for replying! I appreciate it! I have another question that is not related at all to the topic, but do you know if there is a mini starter in the market for said 3 speed 1968 inline manual? I am going to install headers and I have read that OEM starter might be too close to the headers when attempting installation. Thanks again!

Hi, warmed up, at idle, 20 PSI is plenty of pressure. I'm guessing the oil pressure goes up as you give it gas, and lowers at idle. That is normal. Good luck

and...many find no change needed. B sure to mock up any headers B4 ordering a new starter. Some find they still fit.

Back