All Small Six Pedestal block off plate and extra oiling modification

This relates to all small sixes

clochard68

Subscriber
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2023
In the tech section about the distributor gear (https://fordsix.com/ams/distributor-gear-failure-pin-shear.23/) it is described, that the block off plate should have a hole in it. My old plate and new one (picture)don't have a hole. So my question: Is it really necessary? Shouldn't the extra hole in the pedestal account for that?

And I have one more question regarding the lifter 2 and 3 modification for extra distributor gear oiling:
The groove is only supposed to be on the top part of the lifter, right? This modification would reduce the oil pressure that pumps up the hydraulic lifter, would that be a problem for lifter pump up?

Attachments

• Plate.png
    Plate.png
    235.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221108_223142.jpg
    20221108_223142.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20221108_223034.jpg
    20221108_223034.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20221108_223124.jpg
    20221108_223124.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • Modified lifter.png
    Modified lifter.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 20
The plate does not have a hole. other than for the bolt. The article is not said clear, and it means the hole in the front pedestal. A stock plate is stamped with a protrusion that helps locate the plate on the pedestal and can look like a hole in pics, but it is not. What you have is fine.
I only have run solid lifters and have no info on the grove, I do not do it, but my usage and setup if different that yours.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. There is a stamped circle in an original cap plate to keep it from rotating, but I think an actual hole in the cap would reduce pressure at the rockers. It would be an additional drain path, with the one that is cast into the pedestal.

Last edited:
I’m going off memory, but I thought the front pedestal had a 20 pound relief valve that oozed oil down into the distributor gear?

I thought the same thing about not pumping up the lifter, but i Think the scratch is small enough just to ooze, it’s small compared to the lifter input hole.

Last edited:
Back