• Copper Spray A-Gasket (spray can)

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

clochard68

Subscriber
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2023
I need the forums help and expertise, once again!

It is an original steel shim head gasket (D7BE that I got from "powerband") that I will reuse for my 200 build with original log head.
The forum already suggested I should use some sort of sealant to make sure the head gasket will not leak.
I have 3 options at hand at the moment:

1) Aviation Form-A-Gasket to be applied with a brush
2) Hylomar spray can
3) Copper Spray-A-Gasket spray can

The main goal is to make an efficient seal but make it also possible to remove the head without damaging the gasket in the future to put a new cam in the block.
I heard that option 1) is kind of like a glue, and that 3) may also be so sticky that the gasket could be damaged when the head is pulled again. Anyone experienced the same?
Also I read spray application is prefered as it gives a more even coating?
What would you suggest?

PS: I know the block deck and cylinder head surface roughness as well as flatness are important. For the poll please just assume that both surfaces have adequate surface Ra, and are clean and sufficiently flat. Thank you!

Attachments

• Sealants.jpg
    Sealants.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 9
  • D7BE head gasket.jpg
    D7BE head gasket.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
Thanks, good info! I initially thought hylomar would be easier to remove, I am glad I asked ;)

@bubba22349 : I was trying to get the K& W Copper, but it is basically everywhere sold out where I could get it from here in europe. Do you think the Permatex Copper is an adequate equivalent?

I haven't used that Permatex Brand Coper spray before, but they have been an excellent company and with many of their other other products (that I have used for long time to, I do like their non Hardening and Aviation Gasket Sealer's), I think you should be ok with it.

I haven't used that Permatex Brand Coper spray before, but they have been an excellent company and with many of their other other products (that I have used for long time to like their non Hardening and Aviation Gasket Sealer's), I think you should be ok with it.
I only have used the permatex on dirt bike engines and have had leaks so I am wondering if the other stuff is better.

Hi hodaka100, can't remember ever having any trouble with the K & W Copper Spray I have been using it since the early 1960's.

Hi hodaka100, can't remember ever having any trouble with the K & W Copper Spray I have been using it since the early 1960's.
I found one last K & W online and ordered it, only the best for my small six šŸ˜… (if it makes it safely through customs)...

And thanks to everyone for the votes and input!

Back