All Small Six Weber carb kit-thinking ahead

This relates to all small sixes

Kritas

Supporter 2023
I've been steadily ironing out all the little issues with my '66 Mustang. As usual with old cars, every time I fix one problem, I discover another, or want to improve something "while I'm in there". So far I've:

1. Replaced the inner fender panel that was eaten through by battery acid and replaced the battery tray with a '67 tray.
2. While I had the front end off and one fender removed, I took the other fender off and cleaned, rust neutralized, and painted the front structures.
3. Fixed the huge vacuum leak from the PO putting an Autolite 1100 on the stock spacer on a large log intake. As I discovered, I have a '78 200 in my car.
4. Replaced the gas tank that was full of corrosion and am replacing the hard lines as well.
5. Changed all the fluids in the diff, trans, and engine. Put new filters in the trans and engine.
6. Upgraded the distributor to an HEI unit with new plugs and wires.
7. Changed out the oil pressure switch.
8. Swapped out the radiator, all the hoses, and the drive belt.
9. Put in a new water pump.
10. Checked the brakes, rotors and all of the safety stuff.

I have headers to install from Vintage Inlines. My exhaust was delayed, but it's a single with 2.25 inch pipes. I think that will allow the engine to breath better with the later head.

Thinking ahead to my next move(s), I'm wondering if a single Weber carb setup would be a good addition. I wanted to get the car going with the stuff that came with it while I worked on the must-fix items, and that's worked out well. I was considering FI, but after reading up on it have about decided that a carb would be a better choice for me. I want a driver, but I don't need it for daily transportation or long trips. It seems like the Webers tune well and I'd like to get as much performance out of my 200 as possible.

Since many of you have done carb swaps on the little sixes, what do you think of a carb upgrade given what I've done already and the later engine/head?

Last edited:
The cheapest and easiest way would be to install a new ebay Carter RBS electric choke carb.
I once had an 1100 along with the small log carb. adapter adapted to a large log 78 200.
The power increased a lot when I installed a new Carter YFA carb. + 78 Fairmont cable throttle linkage.
The 66 throttle linkage should fit the RBS carb.
Cut the hole in the bottom of the 66 air cleaner to match the top of the RBS carb.
If you don't mind spending the money buy a Weber carb. kit.

If you don't mind spending the money buy a Weber carb. kit.
That's good experiential information. I don't mind spending the money for a good carb that's tunable. I looked at the Ebay "Carter" carbs a while back. I prefer to avoid Chinese knockoffs, but that's just me. The "Autolite" that came with my car is a knockoff.

I did my first master's thesis in 1986 on technology theft by China after a hitch in the Navy. We've been funding their ambitions for far too long. That's my view and I'll leave it there.

Last edited:
There are plenty of NOS RBS carbs on Ebay.
Sorry, my thoughts immediately went to "Amazon" instead of "Ebay". Forgive me, I've been living in a hospital for the last week taking care of my Dad after a stroke. I'm a bit short on sleep. Amazon is chock full of Chinese copies. I'll have a look on Ebay.

Back