What head to match to 65 200 block

Hello everyone, green horn here trying to find out what would be good head to match up to 65 200 block. I have a 65 falcon with original 170 in it. Motor is tired and I was going to rebuild it but came across a 200 motor on craigslist. The head was no good due to broken outer tabs where exhaust manifold bolts to. I decided to take block anyways and find a used head to match up to it. I was thinking of finding a used 250 head with large log but not sure which years would be best without having to get too crazy. Not trying to build race motor but would like to upgrade power and drive the car pretty regularly. Any other ideas, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the site, if you wanted to and your budget is low right now then you could use your 170 head on the 200 short block. Back in the early days that's what was often done to give the 200's a little boost in its compression ratio. As far as the big log heads off the later 200's and 250's (both used the same head) the better big log heads started in 1977 and they also have the bigger valves. There are some prior year heads too that can work good though with today fuel's its usally better to stay with heads that have the factory hardened valve seats (about 1972 and newer). Unless you want to have those installed into the earlyier heads along with new bigger vales during your rebuild. It all comes down to your goals / plans for use as to what rebuild steps you might want to take. Good luck :nod: Edited

Howdy Metalbanger:

And ditto on Bubba's welcome. Bubba gave you a good start on searching for a good head to find and rebuild for your 200 block. FYI- for all the benefits of a late model 200 head; Hardened valve seats, bigger intake valves, larger volume intake tract, and a larger diameter carb hole, there is one downside. The later heads have larger 62 cc combustion chambers to lower compression ratio. The original 9:1 CR can be reclaimed by milling the new (old) head by .050". AKA that the original head gasket was .025" thick and are no longer available. New head gaskets are a composite type for better sealing, but are about .050" thick, depending on brand. That must also be compensated for when machining.

IIWIYS- I'd be looking for a late model donor vehicle in the recycle yard. A 1978 and later Mustang, Fairmont, Granada or any Mercury cousins is a good source to glean a head from. While your there look for a later distributor called a Dura Spark II. It is pointless (no points), no points to change or adjust. The system consists of the distributor, coil, module, and spark plug wires. Also get the wiring harness that connect it all.

The combination will really wake up your Ranchero. Enjoy.

Adios, David

Thanks Bubba and David for the info. I think I'll start at the bone yard. I did see a complete running 250 in a 76 Granada that is parting out. Would this head be worth picking up for good price? And what do you think a fair price would be? Or should I just keep looking for later model? Thanks again.

The 1976 and 1975 heads are decent I don't think there is a great deal of difference between them and the later heads. I don't think that anyone has took the time to measure the log volume or the valve sizes of them to know for sure but just eyeballing them to me they look to be about the same size log. Good luck in the hunt. :nod:

Humm…news 2 me, bubs. Thanks.
I bought a '79 frm FLA that has '75 castings numbers.
U give me hope…

"...What head to match to 65 200 block?…"
depends on whacha lookin 4.
APPLICATION (end use - C subject line above) is the whole ball game on every build.

BTW: for the DSII dizzy (needs a post '68 carb) look 4 what we usta call the brain: alu box on firewall/wheel wheel (guys?) w/raised fins along the top.

Howdy Back MB and All:

The problem with IDing the specs on a 75/76 head casting is that these are years of change. A '76 head casting may have hard seats and 1.75" intake valves or may not. The only way we've found is on disassemble. Certainly worth a look. It should have a DuraSpark II ignition system.

Price wise we used to pay $50 or less for a core head. Same for the ignition system. Be sure to get it all- distributor, module, coil, plug wires and harness. Your area may vary.

Good Luck hunting.

Adios, David

:unsure: Hi David, the two 1975 Maverick's (both with the 250's and C4's) that I onced owned were California emissions specs and were built to run on unleaded fuel that was mandated in Calif. for 1975. Anyway those heads looked very much like and the cars also performed like my later 1977 Maverick 250 with C4. I don't know how much the 48 state Federal emissions cars differed from the Calif. specs. But back then I didn't measure them or take any pictures so can't prove any of my ideas and solid info on the 1975 & 76 head castings seems to be hard too find.

X3 yes by all means grab the DuraSpark II distributor and all its parts i.e. Harness, Coil, Distribitor with its Cap and Plug Wires too. You won't be sorry it's a great improvement over the old LOD system. Grab the carb too (should be a Carter a great carb upgrade) and you will have a real complete package. Or if you feel up to a doing an engine swap the 250 engine and its trans could be bolted in with a bit of work and give you much more bottom end torque to really transform your 1965. Good luck :nod:

Back