Engine whining

Hello all,
New to this site. I recently purchased a 1966 mustang convertible, inline 6 with aftermarket AC. I am having trouble locating a whining noise in the engine. It whines while it is idling, accelerating, or decelerating. I have taken the v-belt off and started the engine and the whine is still there. I did this to rule out the water pump, fan, alternator, and compressor. I have sprayed starter fluid around the intake manifold gasket, carburetor, and all the vacuum hoses. I cannot find a vacuum leak anywhere. I am at a loss as to what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Need more information on your drive train. C-4, stick shift.
Remember that at idle the front pump in the trans is turning.
If its a stick shift, does depressing the clutch pedal affect the whine?????

I've found that the amount of whining I hear is directly proportional to the number of people in the car. Try taking a drive by yourself and leave the wife/kids/in-laws at home and see if that solves the problem. :LOL:

:beer:

often suggested here is "the stethoscope method" either w/a sm. dia hose to the ear or a rigid object (long screwdriver).
All ways be sure not to tangle ANYTHING in rotating engine parts (longer hair, clothing, listening instruments) as it can get very dangerous.
Place it around & touching (esp. the rigid) above mentioned motor parts to locate loudest sound...

a hardwood broom handle works perfect to find noisey spots when held up to the ear and placed on engine at different spots

how do U know?

Back