Air cleaner and Valve cover restoration

MalcolmA

lM8Ngd7.jpg

Hi guys,

I've been going back and forth in my head about whether to do some dress up or keep the stock look. For now I'm going to try stock and get to know it all a bit better. Any advice on what to do here to get my air cleaner and valve cover looking good? I'd like to paint it the red colour I've seen. It's a '65 coupe.

would this paint need to be stripped? I'm completely clueless about all of this.

Thanks in advance!

I usally do strip them first. But if your paint is still in good condistion and has a good bond then you can just clean it good to remove all oil, grease, and dirt etc. Then sand it good, prime it and repaint. Good luck :nod:

Thanks man!

So the sanding isn't part of stripping it down? IO wouldn've assumed that the sane would take off the paint, or would a certain type of sandpaper just clean the surface to the point where you can paint it again? Also, would the process you suggested be the same for me wanting to change the colour?

8) Yes you could certainly use sandpaper to strip all the paint off, though I meant in like when using a bead / sand or Soda blaster to strip the paint off down to bare metal. Yes I meant to use a 220 or 320 grit sandpaper this all depends on your parts paint condition IE If it has a fairly smooth surface with no orange peel, chips or scratches then a light sanding with 320 to just take the gloss off is good enough and then you can repaint. When changing color you usually should prime as it will take fewer coats to cover over though it's not always nessisary. Again it also can depend if the color is darker that you are going over. There are a few other custom paint tricks that work when going to a Red too. Good luck :nod:

If U want em - I've also seen the replacement stickers somewhere (LMC?) such as "170 cubic inch" that fit the AC top.

chad":1v4agptr said:
If U want em - I've also seen the replacement stickers somewhere (LMC?) such as "170 cubic inch" that fit the AC top.

Dennis Carpenter has bigger selection, better prices than LMC & that particular ebay guy…
just checked those 2 out now.
" A.C. lid decals"
or top lid (because there are 'side' ones too)

I used Klean Strip Aircraft Paint Remover on my old air cleaner. Stuff worked great! Took it down to bare metal in no time!

Back