Old snorkel or open air cleaner?

MalcolmA

I have the original snorkel cleaner on my 65 200ci. Would switching to an open type help improve perfromance?

If your running the original one barrel carb I don't think it would be improvement. You can only flow so much air through the small opening in the carb and head. I think it would be purely cosmetic whichever you prefer. I have an open element on mine but I have a Weber two barrel conversion done to my head.

Looks great! I've got a 1 barrel, yes. What's involved in the conversion. Is it just a case of taking the head to be machined?

You can do a ram air into the snorkel of your stock air cleaner. I got the idea out of the Falcon Handbook. I made a 4" hole in the radiator support, put a funnel made from a plumbing flashing, and ran 3" performance air duct hose from a hot rod shop back to the snorkel. Sounds hokey, but I did a nice job of fabrication and painted it flat black. See my sig.

It doesn't do much in town but it definitely makes a difference at highway speed. That is how you get more flow, aka: pressure. An open filter just removes restrictions, aka: barriers to natural flow.

MalcolmA":hufqtapk said:
Looks great! I've got a 1 barrel, yes. What's involved in the conversion. Is it just a case of taking the head to be machined?

Actually not too much involved. You just pull the head and have it machined and bolt the adapter in place. There are a lot of details on here and on Classic Inlines site. I bought my car already poorly done on a small log head. I bought a large log head and rebuilt the engine. The large log head has more surface to machine down and bolt the adapter to. Here is a pic while the shop performed the work. I still have to clean up the wiring under the hood yet. I want to make sure I get all working before I put everything in loom. You can see the difference in holes in the pic on the cnc machine.

mustangsixty5":1pmjxm8e said:
MalcolmA":1pmjxm8e said:

Actually not too much involved. You just pull the head and have it machined and bolt the adapter in place. There are a lot of details on here and on Classic Inlines site. I bought my car already poorly done on a small log head. I bought a large log head and rebuilt the engine. The large log head has more surface to machine down and bolt the adapter to. Here is a pic while the shop performed the work. I still have to clean up the wiring under the hood yet. I want to make sure I get all working before I put everything in loom. You can see the difference in holes in the pic on the cnc machine.

Ballpark figure for machining costs? Would you need to switch to a dual header and exhaust to reap the benefits?

Great work, I am working on my large log 69 head and will be installing a seperate log on top of the integral log with 2 more outlets at cylinders 1 and 2 and 5 and 6. Using rectangular tubing and mounting a Holley 2 barrel carb strictly for drag racing. A little more work but I believe much better mixture flow. Others have done this before.

I cant take credit for the machine work. As far as cost I couldn't give an accurate number as I was given a total of 2000 for the entire job including rebuild. As far as exhaust I would think a single header would have similar results. Mine already had a dual header and complete dual exhaust set up.

Back