200 cid Getting head work completed. Upgrade advice please

ssg66stang

Hi everyone, this is my first post to this forum and I hoping that I gain a ton of knowledge from you more experienced folks.I'll try to make this post as short as possible and still give you the information that I believe you need, in hopes of you giving me some advice.

I have a '66 coupe with a 200cid block and 250 head. I have had this car since highschool,when the head was replaced (a friends father was helping me with the car but i dont know what all was done to the head). Last week, I finally got the car running again and I noticed smoke coming from one of my breather caps. I pulled the head and found that I have a chipped intake valve on cylinder #5. I took the head to a recommended shop and they will be doing some head work. I asked them to cc the chambers and mill what was necessary to get my C/R to 9:1-9.5:1, replace the valves, do a 3 angle valve job, replace seals, guides, etc as necessary. Eventually I might put a mild cam in this motor (any suggestions??). What are your thoughts and recommendations with this setup? Is there anything else that I can ask the machine shop to do that will get me some Hp/Tq gains?

Modifications that I have completed:
Long tube headers with "x" pipe, 2.25" pipes and Borla Pro XS mufflers, Weber 38 2bbl, Ford 8" rear end with 3.25 gears, front disc brakes

Once the motor is back together I plan on upgrading the distributor...Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

:D I`ll second bmbm`s suggestion.Just an FYI here,run an extra ground wire from one of the mounting bolts for the ign box to the firewall or some other spot for extra insurance.Can`t have too many grounds.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Howdy ssg66stang:

And welcome to The Forum.

I'd suggest that you add a back-cut to the intake valves. That's a 30 degree cut on the stem side of the 45 degree seat face of the valve. That will improve flow at the lower lift range of the process. Some do this to the exhaust valves too, but we don't recommend it for sustained high rpm driving. The extra mass of the stock exhaust valves helps to manage heat transfer. For normal driving and an occasional burst, doing the back cut on the exhaust valves shouldn't be a problem. And best of all, adding a back cut to the valves when doing the head is relatively cheap to do.

Again, Welcome.

Adios, David

I just finished a head rebuild on my 200 as well, although the I have the stock small log head. After much research and getting advice from people here this is what I decided to do. On a large log head it may be different.

3 angle valve job with a back cut intakes, positive valve seals vs umbrella style, hardened exh seats, replaced a few worn guides, upgraded springs to accommodate the cam I'm using in the bottom end, some port work to smooth out airflow as much as possible, new rocker arm shaft and resurfaced the rockers.

I've also decided to go ahead and do the bottom end while its torn down, I believe it to be original also. There I am doing the Comp Cams 260H and boring .030 over.

Also I already run the pertronix ignition system, dual outlet header and exhaust from Classic Inlines, and the autolite 1100. I don't see where a 2v carb will give me much difference in HP with the small log manifold, but may make that change at some point down the road after further research.

Sounds like you are getting good advice, just didn't see any mention of checking the springs against the cam you're considering.

Back