250 or 200 ?

Badnews1

Howdy folks
I am looking for a motor to build, The 200 in my car is in good shape but I drive it everyday so I want a new one to start with.
I like the 200 and I know where a couple are, But I can prolly find a 250 around here. They go cheap here for the most part.
So my question.......Should I go cheaper and find the best 200 I can like a 78, or should I go for cubes?
I am not partial and don't know enuff yet to make a good guess for myself.

I know cubes are considered king by I have tricked more than one king with my jester style small cube motors. (Mostly that other brand SBs)
I do plan on an occasional weekend at the drag strip but this is gonna be my driver. Can I get my Falcon in the 14s with a good streetable six and which one.

Opinions please. We can workout the details after I find one you help me choose. :beer:

What year is your falcon?
You can get into the 14s with a 200 inline I think a lot easier than with a 250. This is mainly due to fitment of the taller deck 250 in the engine bay. But, it is possible. I think you just need to figure out your budget and see which is more economic for you.

I am currently working on my 250 for my 69 mustang and have a feeling it's gonna be a pretty awesome engine when all is said and done.

My baby is a 1960. I can find either one for about the same price. I can work with he budget, I have too I have no dollars. lol.
Would it be worth it to look for a later model 250 head if I have a good 200. I know were a running 200 is right now for 300 with a C4. Which is what I want, I don't think my 2 speed is up to bracket racing. I think an AOD would be good for 90% of my driving thou.
8)

I think 69s are the best looking mustangs ever. I miss my 67 a lot. :nod:

I like the torque to of the 250's but you need a good trans to back them up like at least a C4. The down side is they are also quite a bit heavier than the 200's. The later model heads are good up grades both the late 200's and 250's use the exact same head. Good luck on your build :nod:

I swapped a 250 in a '61 (Comet) replacing the 170. The 250 is a great alternative but it is no bolt-in swap. Attention to the tranny as mentioned is part of a package including steering link, engine mounts, tranny mounts,, exhaust and even radiator location/cooling mods'.

'might be simpler to build up a 200 for a bolt-in drivable swap and work on the car to prepare for more power and possible 250 build and swap ...

have fun

Back