Oil in Distributor

cr_bobcat

Famous Member
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
So during my install today, I found oil in my distributor. What's this all about and do I need to do something?

20160511_085506_zpsvtqnv6jl.jpg

What kind of dizzy it it some older ones did have a oil port on them but oil under the cap is not a good thing it as it could dirty up the points or pick up ring. it got in during a install or oil is finding it way up the dizzy body pass the seal in the points area and that would be a fist

This is an HEI style distributor. No points to worry about but curious as to what I would neednto do in order to avoid it, provided that it's an issue.

I was kind of wondering if it could be due to my PCV setup. Maybe I've got too much crank case pressure and it's being forced up? I do have a PCV valve installed but it's one I just bought off the shelf a year or 2 ago. I really didn't know anything about the PCV system at the time and just bought something without determining if it was the right one for the car or not. I did buy an adjustable one recently but haven't spent the time to get it installed. I ran out of time yesterday to do that. Maybe this should be my next task.

Its worth a shot... I know of another guy who had this issue and fixed it by improving breathability. I can't think of another reason oil would be defying gravity and scooting up into the dizzy... Although I do have a Case 446 tractor at home that creeps oil up the dipstick and makes you think its full, lol!

cork em boys!
:eek:

All the block oil passages were cleaned? pick up tube/screen cleaned?

I like the "I'll install that fancy new adj PCV now." Idea.
Let us know after a cleaning/running 4 while…

I hadda leave the dip stick to a tractor on the frame (safe spot while moving/working) with an actual cork on the filler hole.

:unsure: Sounds like the seal on the shaft is defective.Call the vendor that you bought it from,and see what they say about the problem.Got a rebuilt one once that the seal was missing.What a mess.That was about 40 years ago.That was BC(before China).
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Probably too high crankcase pressure. Purchase a pcv valve for your engine size.
Some DUI's have an "o" ring seal at the top of the distributor shaft. I see this seal broken all the time.
Should have started with a DS11 to begin with and you would not have this problem.

Ok, so I got the adjustable PCV valve installed. So tonight I'll mop up that oil from inside the housing and will monitor the situation more regularly.

One thing I noticed, the vac line I have hooked up appears to be ported. Without starting a big ole fight, is this right? I'm wondering if I need to tee in onto a manifold source.

Hi, ported vacuum is used for a vacuum advance distributor. The vacuum source is above the throttle plate. There is no vacuum "signal" at idle, only when the throttle is partially open. Put a vacuum gauge on your hose and open the throttle. You will see the vacuum drop (no vacuum advance, only centrifugal advance) as the throttle opens. The vacuum advance kicks in during steady part throttle cruise high vacuum conditions. Now you know. By the way I have a feeling the shaft to body seal is defective in your distributor. See if the shaft is smooth and tight in the bushing, no wobble.

No new oil in the distributor. Must have been due to me having the wrong PCV valve in there. I'll keep mo itoring it, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

cr_bobcat":blv415yd said:
No new oil in the distributor. Must have been due to me having the wrong PCV valve in there. I'll keep monitoring it, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'd say…
wasss da adjustable set on?

It wasn't on until just a week or so ago. I thought I had the right one on before but apparently I did not. I haven’t noticed any more oil in there since I installed the adjustable. I'll check again in a few days after some more driving. If it rears its ugly head again, I'll prob just make the switch to a DSII. We'll see. In general, I've been pleased with the perforance of this unit. The oil in it has been my only complaint and for now, that appears to have been my doing.

Back