Valve stem seals

slimjimandtherats

Any recommendations on a decent set of valve stem seals for an early 170ci? The lil plastic umbrella style is leaking like a mother trucker and id like to get some options. fel pro makes a set that looks half decent, and the sealed power ones look like the best option. My real question is, i'm used to seeing the seals snug up in a groove on the head but these seem to just float around within the spring. Maybe its just me, wouldnt been the first time :roll:
os-255.jpg

FelPros are decent. They are soft rubber and hold onto the stem well. These are "umbrella" types, which ride up and down with the valve--the valve does not move through the seal. So as long as it's got a good grip on the valve, that's what you need. This type of seal doesn't do much for keeping oil out of worn valve guides, however.

That's what I used. When I put them on, I pushed them all the way down so they were touching the head. Of course they'll move as soon as the valve opens, but at least they are kind of sealing things when the valve is open (kind of).

adamscm":10segslf said:
FelPros are decent. They are soft rubber and hold onto the stem well. These are "umbrella" types, which ride up and down with the valve--the valve does not move through the seal. So as long as it's got a good grip on the valve, that's what you need. This type of seal doesn't do much for keeping oil out of worn valve guides, however.

Once the engine is at speed the seals get pushed down by the retainer but does not ride up because of inertia, no time to go any where ,until the engine slows to a stop. I can assure you that they stay all the way down at speed ,but not sure if the frig light is off when the door is closed. :nod:

when machining for a freshen up today, many of the guys mill the head eliminating the stock there for the modern seals (non- umbrella).
I believe they stay in place the whole valve cycle…

Back