My plan... Thoughts or recommendations?

hoyter

I've been doing a lot of research and I think I know what I am planning to do to upgrade the 200 straight 6 in my 1967 mustang coupe with a three speed manual transmission.

Before the summer is over I plan to add dual exhaust headers and a full dual exhaust, an adapter and two barrel carb and a dui ignition set up I hope to have this done by the end of August.

Over the winter I was thinking about pulling the engine and cleaning it up with some new gaskets/cosmetics as well as possibly having it bored .030 over and upgrading the camshaft.

I do not plan to replace the head as all of the performance heads that I can find are very expensive.

Is there anything else that anyone else would suggest? Is there anything that I am missing that would be required with any of the upgrades that I am thinking about doing?

Thanks for any input.

Look for a later model head, from say 77 and up. It has larger valves hardened seats and larger intake runner.

Consider doing a direct mount carb.

You can get some nice head work done for not a lot of money. If you are currently running the original head gasket you may lose compression with the replacement. It won't take much milling to get that back though. Your build looks a lot like mine ('78 250). Are your rockers adjustable? RAU sells some nice adjustable rockers with increased ratio. Check out some valve springs too. Gotta love it!!!

Howdy Hoyter:

Hum... Where to start. Your budget will take the biggest hit first on headers and exhaust, and a DUI distributor. Your choice, but not the biggest bang for the buck. I'd suggest that you start with a thorough assessment of your engine. Once you have a better idea of what you have plan from there.

While the exhaust upgrades have a big "ou-wow" effect they won't matter much til you raise the Compression Ratio (CR), increase the cam timing to raise the rpm range, and increase income to match.

My suggestion is to acquire a D7xx or later head to gain the larger exhaust valves, hardened seats and larger intake tract volume. Then enjoy driving you car while building your new "performance" head. The new head will increase CR by milling, increase flow by a performance valve job along along with a back-cut on the valves. Once the head is done swap it on to the engine in an afternoon and plan from there.

FYI- the adapter mounted two barrel will cause a clearance issue with the stock hood.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Adios, David

Sounds good. From what I have heard you will probably be money ahead and get comparable performance by getting a rebuilt DSII custom curved for your engine- first step. The best part is you can get them from a member on here that is a six enthusiast. I think he is known as wsa on here. You will get a better running car with a bit more power and better mileage too. And when you go to the next stage like Dave suggests with the later head being rebuilt you are still driving your improved Mustang.
You can get a carb from a 250 and get another boost in power but you have to find one and then do the mods to mount it and it will help if you are good at rebuilding and tuning carbs.
You could probably get these two mods done relatively inexpensively. Maybe $400 or so.
I plan to have 65-67 Mustang someday and one of the first mods will be a T5 transmission.
Also you can really get up to speed with a good knowledge base by getting a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook, link below, it is the go to reference for many of us.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

a trip to the site backing us - Classic Inlines dot com is free, readily available and for the original Q U post in ur subject line. Do Not buy from there, go to the tech pages - as it's in a redevelopment stage, will take ur $ but send U no parts. It explains what you have so U get an understanding and some really useful knowledge. Then it also (like the Manual bmbm40 suggests) details advancements in performance that work.

My belief is Automotive Science is all about application. "What is the final use?" needs to B answered from the beginning (that's Y all the research suggestions). I've seen too many 'hack jobs' (too much $, too little brains) where someone slapped some prts on, changed their mind, slapped more prts on, may B changed directions again… U know the drill. What wrks is 'proper pre-planning preparation' then start the project & carry it thru the whole way w/o change to the end. You're working with a SYSTEM and a change to one prt requires (almost all ways) a change to the other prts of the system…

Having said that - the use (rpm range 80% of the time) may B central to the 'design'. Therefore U may wanna build the project around a modern cam rather than starting with the exhaust? Some even change the cam w/o engine removal…

Sorry 4 the rant, I've learned the hard way. Luckily I never had the money to loose this way but time and effort were waisted…
Keep talkin…

Back