How much boost can a 67 200 stock six take

67mustangat16

Just curious if the age makes it better I think I read somewhere the pre 73(?) were the best because the pistons were steel i think is what it said. I was wondering if I could run 14 or 2.0 bars of pressure with a stock motor. I'm assuming an obvious intercooler, maybe alcohol water injection?

If you read Linc's write-ups you will see that he tried like hell to blow up his stock 200, and was eventually successful. It held up to 20 psi and it seemed to only come unglued after he went lean. I would not try that myself without creeping up on it, but to each his own. I'd say 2 bars is doable if you know how to tune.

The only reason an older six would be any better/stronger than a newer one IMO is the forged connecting rods. And the cast rods are pretty strong enough anyway. the forged rods are added insurance, but I have never heard of anyone breaking a cast rod in a 200 or 250 for that matter. A 67 is still a 7 bearing design and is essentially the same as one up till about '81. that is when they were redesigned to use a low starter location but internally they are the same even after that. The combustion chambers in the early engine like yours may be smaller though which would translate to an increased compression ratio (a good thing) and would certainly not have hardened valve seats. (not a good thing with today's unleaded fuel.

No such animal as steel pistons man. Production engines almost always utilize cast aluminum pistons. Very few factory forged pistons have been used in any American engines and our sixes never got them.

Now will you please bolt that turbo on and try to blow something up? :beer:

Back