All Small Six 170 adding c4 tunnel mods?

This relates to all small sixes

Mgural

Hello,
I have found a c4 with the 6cyl bell housing for my 63 ranchero to replace the 2 speed. from all the reading I have done it sounds like this will bolt up to my 170.
My question is will I have to make any modifications to the tunnel to fit the c4?

Thank you

No you won't have any trouble since you have a 1963 it all ready has the larger Firewall Bell Housing opening and the bigger Trans Tunnel so the C4 or most any other Trans can fit in it with no problems. Ford started using larger Bell Housing openings in the Firewall & Trans Tunnels by the mid 1962 models this was to get them ready for the larger Engines and Trans combo's planed for the Falcon's and Comets with the new mid year models 1963 1/2 V8 kicking off Fords Total Performance and Racing Program.

Note that the only cars that have the smaller Firewall and Trans Tunnel openings are the 1960, 1961, & first part of the 1962 models. But fitting a C4 into those early models is no problem since they are roughly the same size as the Ford O & Merc O Matic's. The only real trouble you would run into on those early models is with fitting in a larger 250 Six with a C4 or Manual Trans that would require some Hammer work for the needed clearance.

Bubba,
Thank you very much for you information! I found the c4 with bell housing for 400$ and I think I have also located 1967 200 inline to replace my worn out 170.

Hi Mgural, that is some great news and a good deal on that 1967 200 and C4 will practically be a bolt in swap into your 1963 Ranchero. Only thing I can think of is that you will need to work on the stock Colum Shifter a little if your still going to use it that is easy enough to do. You will need to use a 1967 Gear Shift Indicator in place of the Ford O Matic (2 speed) Indicator, that is if its a 1967 up C4 Trans. Then also converting the 1963 over from the Generator to the 1967 200's Alternator system which is also fairly quick and simple job. Especially if you happen to get the complete engine wiring harness with the Alternator's Regulator with it. That will be a very nice combo for a daily driver. Welcome to the Ford Six Forum and good luck on your Engine and Trans swap.

Thank you I have found the column shift detent from falcon enterprises. One other question how much work will the drive shaft need ? Change of yoke ? Or driveshaft shortening? Or both?

Thanks again

You will probably need to have a C4 Yoke, I don't remember if the Ford O Matic Yoke is the same spline right now been a long time since I seen one of the Ford O's, but another site member will probably know that answer. Being that you have the Ford O try that Yoke out first to see if it goes in easy into the splines. The driveshaft length should be about the same for both the bad thing is if the C4 Yoke is needed you will need to get it adapted to the driveshaft or get a different one I.E. the front U Joint Yoke of the Driveshaft is a different wider size. It might be cheaper and or easier to look for a 1965 Falcon C4 Auto Trans Driveshaft that should fit right in place. For your driveshaft length you will need a minimum of 3/4 inch clearance from the front of the Yoke to the back of the tail housing for the yoke to be able to slide in during the rear suspensions movement and not cause any trouble driving about the max that the Yoke can be out is 1 1/2 inches more than that and the drive shaft is too short, 1 inch out is about perfect.

That’s all great information I’ll be picking up the transmission this week. I’ll let you guys know how it goes. I’m sure I’ll have more questions.
Thanks again

Good morning everyone,
I have a couple more questions about the c4 swap in my 63 ranchero .
What needs to be done with the carburetor linkage and kickdown ? When I search I find cable kits for the column shift and the kick down.
Are these the correct ? Will the kits attach to the autolite 1100?

I did a similar engine and trans swap in my 63 2door sedan last spring. 170/Ford-o-matic out, 200/C4 in.

I used a mount that I found on eBay. Search for 61-65 Falcon crossmember transmission conversion.

There was some back and forth with the driveshaft shop to get on the same page but I ended up having them shorten the driveshaft about 2" and install a yoke to mate with the C4.

Got a custom shift linkage from Karl Kustoms. The same stuff that other suppliers have for half the price. It took some heating and bending and tweaking to get it right. I did not use a new detent for the column. The pointer doesn't line up with the PRNDL but I'm OK with it. Neutral safety switch is in the column. Make sure that switch is happy with your linkage (scratched my head on that one for some time).

I'm planning on a 2bbl conversion so I'm holding off on the kick down until then...but there are times when I wish I had it. I'll probably go with a cable arrangement and fab the mounts.

Back