170ci 1965 170’s equipped with automatic trans?

This applies only to 170CID

66bronco

I’m into early Bronco’s and most of the 66’s were all 170’s. I thought the 1965 Mustang came with the 170 and were equipped with a C4 automatic trans. Is that correct and did the 170’s that had the automatics still use the Autolite 1100? Lastly seeing the carb was on the passenger of the motor did it use a kick down rod or cable?

I’m thinking on converting my manual 3 speed to a C4 on my ‘66 Bronco that has the 170. It would be easier for the wife and daughter to drive. My son I taught him how to drive with the Bronco. If you can drive a manual everything: choke, steering, drum brakes, and column 3 speed… then you drive anything. :)

Hi, you are going to have to sort through a lot of parts. Just to start with, the later V8 Broncos came with a heavy duty pan fill c4,, but the transfer case adapter is longer because the engine is shorter, and the output shaft is different . Also, if you find a complete C4 from a Bronco, it will have the SBF bell housing, so you will need the proper 170 engine spacer plate, flex plate, and torque converter, and bell housing .Don't forget to remove the pilot bushing. Then you have to figure out what shifter to use. You will also need a tranny cooler. You may have luck looking for parts from a ranger or Bronco II. They had a C5 and a new process transfer case, but the bell housing, converter , and yokes are probably different. Good luck

Last edited:
I hear ya on the 170bronk. B Ron is right: a good starting list.
Where R U located (thinkin junk yrds)?
RU familiure w/'the typical bronk vendors'?

Hi, you are going to have to sort through a lot of parts. Just to start with, the later V8 Broncos came with a heavy duty pan fill c4,, but the transfer case adapter is longer because the engine is shorter, and the output shaft is different . Also, if you find a complete C4 from a Bronco, it will have the SBF bell housing, so you will need the proper 170 engine spacer plate, flex plate, and torque converter, and bell housing .Don't forget to remove the pilot bushing. Then you have to figure out what shifter to use. You will also need a tranny cooler. You may have luck looking for parts from a ranger or Bronco II. They had a C5 and a new process transfer case, but the bell housing, converter , and yokes are probably different. Good luck
My thinking was to used a Bronco C4 that has the Dana 20 adapter already on it. I would just have to change the bell, toque, and flywheel to 1965 Mustang C4 6 cylinder. But what’s curious is the Bronco 3 speed’s intermediate housing for the 6 cylinder is a bit shorter then the V8 but the C4 setup is a bit longer the manual setup. Ford had two different driveshaft lengths depending on manual to auto trans. Also my thoughts was a stock 73 Bronco auto column… I know there will be some modifications to make it all work right.

I’m not 100% sure it will all work but it would be an interesting endeavor though.

I hear ya on the 170bronk. B Ron is right: a good starting list.
Where R U located (thinkin junk yrds)?
RU familiure w/'the typical bronk vendors'?
I’m Cleveland, Ohio so all the old junk yards are pretty much picked over or scraped out. Yes I’m familiar with JBG, Tom’s, WH, and Nick at Northeast Classics. I’d figure I would start here because it’s going to have 6 cylinder guys and more likely to find parts based around the small 6’s

Hi, it is my understanding that the driveshaft length never changed. The tranny mount and cross member puts the transfer case in the same spot with respect to the front and rear ends. For the Dana 20 yokes there are two choices, a large and a small (possibly a spicer or a dana yoke), and corresponding U joint sizes. I have later drive shafts and axles from a 76 that had an C4, and all the drive shafts matched up after I swapped the front yoke. Good luck

C4 replaced F-0-M in '64, so C "stang", "falcon", "etc".
170 stopped in '72...
Bronk is just a 4WD modle of above sedans, coupes....
However I dont believe any related model hada 170/auto.
yokes DS easy, adpters no so, i6 way longer than bent8, x-fer = added difficulty.

Back