SOLD 1977 RUG CL OD transmission

No longer available

Blairsville Ed

Famous Member
I have a 1977 RUG CL transmission. This is a cast iron, top loader style, 4 speed OD transmission with side mounted shift levers. This was originally in an Econoline van with a 300 motor. The trans was rebuilt with new bearings and synchronizers and was driven 4000 miles since the rebuild. It comes with an aluminum bell housing.
$300

Last edited:
I have a 1977 RUG CL transmission. This is a cast iron, top loader style, 4 speed OD transmission with side mounted shift levers. This was originally in an Econoline van with a 300 motor. The trans was rebuilt with new bearings and synchronizers and was driven 4000 miles since the rebuild. It comes with an aluminum bell housing.
$300
Where are you located?

North Georgia, about 5 miles from the North Carolina border.
I recently have been traveling for work on I 26 to I 81 into Virginia.

North Georgia, about 5 miles from the North Carolina border.
I recently have been traveling for work on I 26 to I 81 into Virginia.
Oh good. You're going right by my church. I can see 26 from the parking lot in Unicoi. Any chance we could meet up sometime in the week? I pay cash. I get off work at 5 PM weekdays and could be over there by 6:30. I will be in Unicoi TN tomorrow for most of the day. Otherwise, I might need to make time for a trip down south. I've never been to that part of georgia.

Be aware that this trans is quite a bit longer than the 3.03 trans although the cross member mount is in the same location as the 3 speed. A shorter drive shaft will be needed. The shift levers that are on the trans in the picture were custom made to use with a column shifter. The original 3 shift levers are wired to the trans along with a couple of speedo gears. The helix of the speedo gears are opposite of the 3 speed.
When I got this trans it did not come with a shifter. I’m not sure which floor shifter it requires.

Be aware that this trans is quite a bit longer than the 3.03 trans although the cross member mount is in the same location as the 3 speed. A shorter drive shaft will be needed. The shift levers that are on the trans in the picture were custom made to use with a column shifter. The original 3 shift levers are wired to the trans along with a couple of speedo gears. The helix of the speedo gears are opposite of the 3 speed.
When I got this trans it did not come with a shifter. I’m not sure which floor shifter it requires.
Noted. I may pull it apart for clearances and see if I can use the shorted input/tailshaft, but this is probably not possible due to the differences of gear positions on the shaft. Thank you for the info.

My truck had a 2 piece drive shaft so I carefully ground off the weld at the front yoke, cut the drive shaft tube shorter and welded the yoke back on. It’s not as difficult as it sounds. The drive shaft tube is only 3/32 wall.

Too bad you jumped on this Parker. I'm interested too, a good upgrade for the 3.03 in the '79 f100. And already set up for column shift. . Darn. If you don't get it, let me know please.

I originally got this trans for the 3.25 first gear. It was difficult for my 240 to produce enough torque with a 2.99 first gear to pull my pontoon boat up the launch ramp. I had to ride the clutch most of the way up. The 3.25 first gear made it much easier, and the OD was a nice benefit.

Back