All Small Six 200-170 interchange question

This relates to all small sixes

akimball442

Hello, I've googled this to death so I figured I'd ask the professionals.

I am working on a 65 Mustang with a 200 that has dropped a valve and there's some carnage.

I have found somewhat locally a 170 engine from 1961, and I'm wondering if it's a direct swap. This car belongs to an older lady who most likely won't miss hte power, and this would be the most economical solution.

Most of what I've read seems to indicate that the enignes are interchangeable as far as bolting up to the transmission, but it seems like circa '65 there were some changes to bellhousing patterns, etc.

I have no proof the 200 in this car (or the transmission for that matter) is original. It is a 'cruise-o-matic' type that will allow taking off in first or second gear, if that's any bit of useful information.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Aaron

Hi Aaron, all sizes 144, 170, or 200 Ford small six engine blocks built from 1960 to 1965 will only have the single small bell housing bolt pateren. Starting in1966 up the engines will have a duel bell housing bolt pattern, the exception to this is the last year of production in late 1982 some of these 200 six blocks were built to use. a C5 Auto Trans these blocks will have a modded SBF (Small Block Ford V8 :cool: 6 bolt bell housing. All other Ford Automatic transmissions the Ford O Matic / Merc O Matic 2 speed (1960 to 1964) Duel Range C4 3 speed (these were used in 1964 1/2 to 1966 Mustangs and is what your car has), or the 1967 up to 1982 3 speed Select Shift C4's, all of these used the small bell housing bolt pattern. So yes the 1961 170 six will physically bolt into the 1965 Mustang and to the C4 Trans, there will be some external parts differences between the two engines but many of your 200 (but one that will not is the 65 distributor) other parts should swap onto the 170 without to much trouble you will need to plug the block hole with a freeze plug for the old road draft tube on the 170 if it still has one. Best of luck

Hi, as mentioned, the older 170 would be a direct bolt in, and I would also use the PCV system from the 200. The early engines use a 1/4" distributor drive, and the later engines use a 5/16" drive so you need to use the early distributor. Make sure there is no pilot bushing in the crank. Remember to use thread sealant on the flexplate bolts. Good luck

Back