223 Oil after a re-build

I run Valvoline VR1 straight 30w, it has ZDDP in it. My hot oil pressure is 25psi at idle and 50psi above 1,000rpm. I gave extra attention to the oil passages when building it, making sure everything was clean and making sure the top end got plenty of oil up to the rockers. Mine is a later higher pressure setup with the return line.

Attachments

• 20230428_003253.jpg
    20230428_003253.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
Well initial startup and break in went well last night...until.... This morning when I got to work it was pissing out a qt a min from around the oil filter adapter plate. A quick parking lot reset and #1 gasket sealer I will see what happens at 4 when I head home

Well initial startup and break in went well last night...until.... This morning when I got to work it was pissing out a qt a min from around the oil filter adapter plate. A quick parking lot reset and #1 gasket sealer I will see what happens at 4 when I head home
And now somehow its dripping from the oil filter gasket.....and a bit from the oil pan. Worst part...I was parked in my bosses parking spot when "she gave way". He is a vintage rare muscle car collector. Let's just say I came in early today to scrub the parking spot :)

And now somehow its dripping from the oil filter gasket.....and a bit from the oil pan. Worst part...I was parked in my bosses parking spot when "she gave way". He is a vintage rare muscle car collector. Let's just say I came in early today to scrub the parking spot :)
And now spraying out from the adapter plate again. I expected zero leaks from a $7,000 engine rebuild.

And now spraying out from the adapter plate again. I expected zero leaks from a $7,000 engine rebuild.
How is your oil pressure? There may be a relief valve issue in the pump.

How is your oil pressure? There may be a relief valve issue in the pump.
There was a new oil pump installed at the time of re-build. I threaded in an actual gauge to read pressure for initial startup and the first 20min and it never went over 50psi.

There was a new oil pump installed at the time of re-build. I threaded in an actual gauge to read pressure for initial startup and the first 20min and it never went over 50psi.
May be worth checking again, if perchance the plunger hung up recently. Unlikely it would, but worth checking off that possible source of blowing out gaskets.

May be worth checking again, if perchance the plunger hung up recently. Unlikely it would, but worth checking off that possible source of blowing out gaskets.
I ordered a new adapter plate just to have on hand. I re-sealed it in the parking lot it worked for the 15 min drive home and running in the driveway for 10 min, a cool down then a 20 min drive for ice cream after dinner with no issue. Then when I got to work this am flood gates open. I will do another parking lot re-build to get it home and taking another look after this weekend.

Well.... got around to testing. New adapter plate new filter, installed a pressure gauge. I have never in my life seen a gauge hit the top end pin so fast in my life......that means I have well over 100psi. Looks like I'm either putting the old one back in or waiting for another new one. Maybe both.

Well the re builder took a look at the pump. Checked spring, piston, and impeller specs as sent over from Melling and found nothing. Heated the pump and rechecked and found nothing. I am hoping that Melling can bench test a new one and get it out to me hopefully sooner than later.
Once I get a new one I will run a full tank of gas through that thing in my driveway before I trust that thing out on the road.

Last edited:
Back