250 INSTALLATION DRIVING ME INSANE!! PLEASE HELP.

A

Anonymous

:cry: Engine and tranny lock-up hard when put back together. I know this sounds stupid, especially considering that this isn't my first engine installation. I'm putting the 250 back into a '69 coupe with the original C-4 tranny. The engine rotates fine by itself. I put the torque converter on the tranny, made sure it was seated, and it turned freely like it's supposed to. EVERY time I bolt the two together (4 times now), the engine won't budge. Last time I slooooowwwwly drew the block and bell housing together, turning the engine a full revolution periodicly. It still turned after being put together. I put everything else back together, filled everything up, and tried to kick it over. LOCKED-UP HARD again!! It may be very damaging to my ego, but someone pleeease tell me this is something simple that I've overlooked or done wrong. :cry:

The only time I have ever heard of something like this happening is when dad got his '86 T-bird. The PO had shoved everything back together after having the trans worked on. When the PO did this he mashed the splines on the input shaft and the Torque Converter would act like it was seating and feel like it was all the way in, however once taken apart the input shaft told a different story. I hope this isnt your problem.

ron

You need to VERY carefull fitting the totrque convertor into the tranny, the oil pump drive flats need to align perfectly into the tranny oil pump oil it will damage the pump. The convertor should be free to rotate once the tranny is fitted to the engine, have you left any bolts on the TC?
Its sounds like this is your problem.
A7M

CoupeBoy":3ihvofjl said:
The only time I have ever heard of something like this happening is when dad got his '86 T-bird. The PO had shoved everything back together after having the trans worked on. When the PO did this he mashed the splines on the input shaft and the Torque Converter would act like it was seating and feel like it was all the way in, however once taken apart the input shaft told a different story. I hope this isnt your problem.

ron
If this is my problem, what was the fix for it on dad's T-bird?

Sounds Exactly Like A Problem I had.

might sound silly, but Have you checked to see if the splines on the gearbox are correct for the torque converter you're using?

In my case, a gearbox shop slipped me a 26 spline t/c when I had a 28 spline gearbox. I put it all together, thinking it would be like a Borg-Warner gearbox, and felt one solid clunk. With it all installed, nothing would turn over, and there was a small gap between the bellhousing and block. The t/c would spin fine by itself...

Squatch10h":21sa7x70 said:
If this is my problem, what was the fix for it on dad's T-bird?

Well at Dad's house the grinder is your friend, he ground down the front of the shaft, where the boogered spot was, all the way around the shaft then reassembled. However you should get the shaft replaced.

ron

discokin6":18rs40ky said:
Sounds Exactly Like A Problem I had.

might sound silly, but Have you checked to see if the splines on the gearbox are correct for the torque converter you're using?

In my case, a gearbox shop slipped me a 26 spline t/c when I had a 28 spline gearbox. I put it all together, thinking it would be like a Borg-Warner gearbox, and felt one solid clunk. With it all installed, nothing would turn over, and there was a small gap between the bellhousing and block. The t/c would spin fine by itself...
I've heard a lot sillier, but no, I'm using the original motor, torque converter, and tranny.

Thanx all for the info. I'll pull the motor (again) and see what a thourough inspection tells us.

Sounds like torque convertor's not seated all the way. Ask how I know! :oops: If it is, you may be in need of a new trans pump, or even convertor. Yep, done that too. :oops: Good luck.

J.R.

make sure that the flexplate is on correctly. I had the exact same problem and it turns out that the flexplate spacer was on the wrong side. It goes against the engine, not on the other side. If you put it on the wrong side the torque convertor bolts brind against the bell housing. Just check the spacer plate
later

Back