254?

A

Anonymous

As I am researching engine options, I note that the 254 straight six was an option for my 1953 truck. However, as I search catalogs for parts, I see no mention of the 254 anywhere. Anyone have the low-down on this engine? It probably won't be an option for me considering parts seem to be non-existent in the catalogs I have.

Inline sixes for my 1953 truck were either a 215 or a 254. The 223 became available in 1954 trucks and should bolt right into my truck. Clifford seems to have more performance parts available for the 223 vs. the 215.

I still can't decide what I want to do. I'm resisting the urge to slap in a modern V8, I love sixes and want to keep my truck as traditional as possible. I have a solid running 215 with 31,000 miles sitting on the bench but the rear is geared all wrong (4.86) for highway speeds and the 215 might be too sluggish if I regear it.

- JT

This is almost the same problem I am going to have in a year or so when I dust off my '54 F100. It originally came with a 239 Yblock, but when I bought it it had a 240 (locked up). I have another 240 that moves freely and even bought all the ignition parts to put it in. I also have a couple 302's out of various 70's cars. But I am hoping to get my hands on an EFI 300 and regear it. I *think* its got 4.93's in the rearend now.

I am assuming the 215 and 254's are flathead I6's?

ya I know I am no help.
ron

I am assuming the 215 and 254's are flathead I6's?
The 215 is an OHV and the 254 is a flathead 6.

The 239 is a flathead, not a Y-block.

- JT

It is fine if you are hardcore "restore to stock" to keep the "old" 6s but with only four mains and almost non-existant parts you might consider one of the "modern" 6s. If there is 35-36" between radiator back face and the fire wall the 240 / 300 ci will fit. If not, then the 200 /250 is an option.
It takes a little work, motor and transmission x-member with mounts to be fabbed and other odds and ends. To keep the P/Us on the road, improve the performance and reliability would be worth it.
The suprise to others would be much, because most would think the 300 carbed engine was the original. And consider the OH! WOW! factor at Bllie Ray's Gas Station if you were to swap to the factory EFI engine. There should be room enough, the last 50s P/U engine bay I looked in had enough room to have a house party.

Back