All Small Six 65 vs 69 200 flywheel and shim differences ?

This relates to all small sixes

Paparo

So we put a 69 200 in my sons mustang to get him started , he blew it up , yeah I know . Anyway we found a running 65 to replace it with , but there seems to be clearance issues between the starter gear and the flywheel , same flywheel and shim on both engines , didn’t have a clearance issue with the 69 , but having an issue with the 65 , my questions are : do they share the same flywheel ? Do we need a diff sized shim ?

Thank you in advance. This is driving us nuts

Were you running a 8-1/2" dog dish flywheel and bell housing on the '69? The '65 block will only take the 8-1/2" setup. Late '66 into '67 they switched to the 9" flat flywheel setup, but the 200 blocks are dual pattern drilled to fit both 8-1/2" and 9".
There isn't a conventional way to use the 9" on a '65 block, no one makes any type of adapter, a 9" bell housing fits on, the lower bolt holes line up, but there isn't anything for the top two bolts to go into on the block. 9" flywheel won't work in a 8-1/2" bell.
Post pics if you can.

Last edited:
Well , the car isn’t at my house . But I plan on trying to help the kid later this week . So the thing I’m thinking is there is different spacing on the crank . According to the auto parts store , the 65 uses the same starter , for manual or auto . I’m 69 there are two options , but the auto starter has the same part number as the one for the 65 . Which means they either changed the flywheel and ring gear location or changed the spacing on the crank where flywheel sits . Now I wish it was as easy as changing starters but the bellhousing is drilled for a 2 bolt starter , where as the auto starter for 69 & the starter for a 65 are 3 bolt . And if we are going through the trouble of locating a new bellhousing , might as well just wait till he’s done with his v8

This particular block seems to be drilled for both bolt patterns , everything from the motor plate back , has come off the 69 200 that had no clearance issues .

I did notice on rock auto , that there are 4 diff shim thicknesses for the flywheel . I’ll try to grab the pics later this week . Ty for replying , it’s helping us brainstorm

All 144, 170 and 200s the crank is .062'' out from the rear block face. So that is not your problem.
When you say shim are you meaning block/bellhousing spacer plate? What is the shim that you are typing about ?

What someone above told you is correct. The 65 should use a dog dish flywheel. I don’t think you have the correct bell to block. Pics would def help.

There is no shim to be used between the crank and the flywheel. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
There is an enforcer ring that goes under the bolts on some flex plates.

Well , the car isn’t at my house . But I plan on trying to help the kid later this week . So the thing I’m thinking is there is different spacing on the crank . According to the auto parts store , the 65 uses the same starter , for manual or auto . I’m 69 there are two options , but the auto starter has the same part number as the one for the 65 . Which means they either changed the flywheel and ring gear location or changed the spacing on the crank where flywheel sits . Now I wish it was as easy as changing starters but the bellhousing is drilled for a 2 bolt starter , where as the auto starter for 69 & the starter for a 65 are 3 bolt . And if we are going through the trouble of locating a new bellhousing , might as well just wait till he’s done with his v8

This particular block seems to be drilled for both bolt patterns , everything from the motor plate back , has come off the 69 200 that had no clearance issues .

I did notice on rock auto , that there are 4 diff shim thicknesses for the flywheel . I’ll try to grab the pics later this week . Ty for replying , it’s helping us brainstorm
Hi Paparo, if your replacement engine is really a 1965 200 (Pictures would help ID it) it would only be a single bolt pattern Block and then your Bigger Bell Housing and Flywheel and 3.03 Trans that's off of your 1969 - 70 200 is not going to bolt up to it. You would need to change out the Bell Housing to the early 1964 Econoline Bell to use a 3.03 trans and then go to the 8 1/2 inch Dog Dish Flywheel and Clutch Assembly. X2 the Reinforcement Ring is "NEVER EVER" used between the Crankshaft and the Flywheel as a Shim nor is it used on the top of the Flywheel under the Crankshaft Bolts, its only used with an Auto Transmission were its mounted on top of the Flex Plate. Best of luck

Back