All Small Six 74' 250 ci problem

This relates to all small sixes
stock, low mileage 74' 250ci ran well prior to current issue. Problem started by hard starting and periodic rough running. This turned into overheating and now won't start at all and when it tries it sounds like its way out of time. With cyl. #1 at TDC the rotor is at #1, so it doesn't seem to have jumped time. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor all new. Thoughts on what to do next? Thanks.

Do a compression test.
That will tell you if you have a problem with head gasket, valve train or piston and rings.

Last edited:
Stupid question, I suppose, but did you do anything to it just before this started?

Saying that the cap, rotor and wires being all new tempts me to say that the plug wires may be on the wrong cap terminals. The distributor rotates clockwise on the sixes so if you're used to working on the V8s, it's easy to get the wires wrong.

firing.jpg

Thanks all. The coil checks out, none of the work was done prior to issue, firing order is correct. Compression test will be next, appreciate all the input.

What I can tell you is, if you think that it is ignition related, it will be fuel and if you think that it is fuel related it will be ignition.

2X^ but I usually just go the 2nd 1/2 aahahaha.

Our reciently dearly departed (bubs) hada good ign tune up ina stickie. I'd follow that (as U were: "...rotor and wires being all new..." in there last). THAT 1st (if nothing more than to learn it AND rule it out as THE or 'contributing' problem) then onto wasss next.
Vac guage tune up's nice, may B compression last if not there yet? Keep talkin~

When I worked in ford shops in the Seventy's and eighty's Duraspark modules would sometimes over advance the timing and give all the problems you are having. Try a different module.

Sort-of random - under exactly what conditions are hard-starting and occasionally running poor? Cold, hot, recently run, long drive, short trip, low-speed only, etc. Please be very specific.

I'd hit it with a vacuum gauge for diagnostics. Search for how to diagnose with a vacuum gauge, and use it, both when OK and when rough.

Sporadic issues are typically mechanical, but can be from a second source, i.e., sticking valves, poor tuning, floating dirt, plugged tank vent, etc. Too many to be guessing, and so testing will help a lot. Vacuum, leak-down, compression and other tests will help to move focus from "maybe" sources to diagnosed clues pointing in a specific direction.

I would also agree with checking and correcting everything you recently touched, then move-on to maintenance checks of everything else you should have also done. Silly stuff like checking vacuum lines for cracks, checking proper choke operation, replacing fuel filters, etc. There's always something more to check on the list.

As DS modules are non-returnable from most sellers; you can first check the DS module with a timing light and rev in Neutral to high rpm. Timing should match spec's (see the FSM). If not, check distributor advance and vacuum canister to spec (FSM), which should be inspected and lubricated anyway (FSM). ;) If that's good, then it's the module. Also note the value of having a copy of the Ford Shop Manual (FSM) for your car. Huge time and money-saver. Good luck! :cool:

Back