79 Fairmont 200 4sp. M90 Swap

Hodgie1013

I'm making steady progress on my M90 swap. It consists of:
Eaton M90 - Pulled from a 96ish Bonneville ($60)
Motorcraft 2100 - 1.21 Vents ($30)
MSD 6 BTM, Blaster 2, 9mm wires
Hooker SuperComp Header & 2.5" Mandrel bent tubing all the way back.

-I removed the 2 bolt flange from the Header ($175) and welded on a 3 bolt flange with a 2.5" ID for the outlet. I made flanges using a 2.5" collector gasket for measurements and created a program on the mill. The rest of the exhaust will consist of: an 8" flex section ($25), high flow cat($20), a new MAC muffler I bought from a buddy ($25), and a conservative tip to finish it off ($15). Including the rest of the tubing I've used I've spent maybe $250.
-The M90 is in the shop. Pulled it for $60 and paid $80 for a kit that is supposed to service any and all M90s. (Let me know if anybody needs numbers for any seals or bearings.) I still need to do some math and see where I should be for pulley size so that I can make one.
-The MSD ($300) is all installed without the boost reference line attatched. The wires I bought were new for a Mustang and I paid $30, but had to shorten them all (almost worth paying extra for custom wires). Two heat ranges cooler on Champions with a wider gap.
-Pretty basic carb setup with #72 Mains($3), #7 - 4 window power valve($5), and a Holley Accelerator pump($19). I am also in the process of assembling a fuel system with an electric pump, and a regulator.
-I've ordered a wideband reader kit($75) and sensor($52). Gauges and misc... maybe $150 so far.

Just the basics for now. I'll further detail my swap as I go, and post pics of everything.
BTW If anybody has done this, I'd be interested in hearing what you've got going under the hood. Also, how much boost are you seeing? What sized pully are you using? Most of the rest of my work is fabrication, and it's nice to have some pointers. PM me if you think you might have some parts I could use for sale. Thanks Guys!

Matthew Haugland

I was out at my uncles place the other day and happened on an old 79 Merc. that my grandfather bought new. It now sits in the weeds but under the hood sits a 250 with 70,000 some odd miles on it! (Very Very well taken care of old people miles!) So, I'm adjusting my plans to include the 250 swap which would make my tranny swap much easier. I'm looking forward to getting onto this project in full force once I'm done doing a 4.0 jeep head to 258 amc block swap for my buddy. It's coming along very nicely. Shoot me a message if you're interested in what we're doing with that... I might post it anyway.

i would think a M-90 from a t-bird would be easier to setup.BUT if you get one keep the rotor pack from the GM Unit its teflon coated and much better and will swap into a ford m90

As I recall I think you're going to have to fab a rear sump oil pan as I don't think any were produced for the 250. Someone on the board did it before and had mentioned that it's a lot of work. However if you're fabricating parts it might not be too bad for you. The 79 fairmont is on the fox body right? I believe it is.

Ford put some 250s in Granadas and Monarchs, I think.
I've been wondering about what sort of k-member these had, or if these engines had the "right" oil pan for fox-bodies?

Jackfish:
The Granada's & Monarch's that had 250 motors have the same crossmember as the Mavericks.
The oil pan sump was in the middle (sort of)
The 250 motors did not have the right oil pan for fox bodies.

I know that for a fact as I did alot of searching for the proper oil pan when I put my 250 motor into my 1981 Mustang - I had to have the pan fabricated using the lower half from a 200 pan & the upper half from a 250 pan.

Yeah. This old thing is a Monarch. I haven't actually gotten the car out and over to my shop yet. I should have acted sooner because now it''s coverered in snow... Yeah, if nothing else I'll build a pan from the bottom up using the 200 and 250 pans for a pattern of sorts. Aluminum would look really professional all TIG'd up. I could install some baffles and increase the oil capacity too.

Back