All Small Six 80’s Fairmont Winter Rebuild

This relates to all small sixes

falconcritter

Supporter 2023
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
This is the block I have from my recent hall . I have found the original receipt for Machine Work and it was from March of 2000 . It has been in the a garage sitting in a trash bag . As you can see very light rust has formed in the cylinders . Would 0000 steel Wool harm the cyl walls ?

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpeg
    IMG_1610.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1609.jpeg
    IMG_1609.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1608.jpeg
    IMG_1608.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
get yourself a brush hone of the correct size and hone the bores to get the correct crosshatch, then clean it till you get no residue with a clean white rag. This gives the best finish to the bores to ensure seal and long life. Otherwise its a straight out job. I didnt know you guys had the old precrossflows that late in the falcons, we dumped them in 76.

get yourself a brush hone of the correct size and hone the bores to get the correct crosshatch, then clean it till you get no residue with a clean white rag. This gives the best finish to the bores to ensure seal and long life. Otherwise its a straight out job. I didnt know you guys had the old precrossflows that late in the falcons, we dumped them in 76.
We had then in Mustangs 79 - 83 . Then we dumped them !

I got the cylinders cleaned , I turned it over and I found a bigger mess . Everywhere it has this light rust it feels like it is sticky . I think maybe the machine shop sprayed something in the engine the preserve it . But it just collected the moisture .

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1621.jpeg
    IMG_1621.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1618.jpeg
    IMG_1618.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
I wouldn't be concerned with the light rust in the main area; clean it off and install the main bearings.

As for the cam bearings, just replace them.

I wouldn't be concerned with the light rust in the main area; clean it off and install the main bearings.

As for the cam bearings, just replace them.
I agree- that does not look that bad. At all. In my climate a raw clean engine can get like that in two days. That surface rust will wipe out, with the goo usually. Oil based solvent like spray brake-clean, or gasoline, wipe the goo out. IMO that's ready to assemble after 5 minutes' clean up.

2X^
that worried? go w/the real light ‘skotchbright’ (body man’s "plastic wool” a la our dish cleaning pads) sprayed w/the BC-er in grey or white (fine) OR the actual green disk one. Go just enuff the BC runs off clean.

I found a fox wagon after 7 yr search (my final car for life I hope). Is an 85 LTD 3.8L bent6. They lost the 3.3 in ’83, 1st yr of the model (almost identical to Fairmont/zephyr). REAL transition car - had: carb & TBI; 4, i6, bent6 & bent8 motors; manny, 3 & 4 speed (or OD) automatics, and many many more ~ Unfortunately it AND the panther platform had same name. (This is ’83/6). No fun on prts search. Cant find “Y” pipe. At least the merc was “Grand” added to crown vic up sized model (105 inch WB = “marquis” / "grand marquis” = 114 inch WB ).

Last edited:
I'd wipe every thing down with a shop rag with your favorite solvent, if it feels smooth its good to go even if it has some black staining provided there is no pitting it'll be ok.

I got the cylinders cleaned , I turned it over and I found a bigger mess . Everywhere it has this light rust it feels like it is sticky . I think maybe the machine shop sprayed something in the engine the preserve it . But it just collected the moisture .
WD 40 will do that after a while, do not ask me how I know.:mad:

“...do not ask ..."
“Hey 'drag’, I hear..."
Remember Click’n Clack muse on bout “Cosmoline”?

On a separate note (valve train) I repurposed long gun brush
off nother bench, this in the home garage, for longer tinnier holes.
Same brake clean followed by oil BUT... that final application m u c h
closer to assembly (to avoid a recreate).

SO FRESH AND CLEAN..CLEAN ! Brake Clean did the trick ! I still need a lifter brush , and main cap bolts .

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpeg
    IMG_1630.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1628.jpeg
    IMG_1628.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1627.jpeg
    IMG_1627.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1626.jpeg
    IMG_1626.jpeg