All Small Six Advice on upgrading the distributor, carburetor on mustang 1965 200 cu

This relates to all small sixes
You would then use one of the Pertronix Coils it's called the "Flame Thrower" or you could use one of the MSD Blaster both work very good. If your going with the Weber Carb or any other later model Autolite / Motorcraft carb then your fate is sealed and you will be better off ditching the old LOM distributor for a newer Distribor you will get much better drivability and performance. Best of luck.

'Scuse the thread drift, but can I ask [I have to, I'm in the UK]...I have an MSD Blaster coil on my 200. Is that the same ''Blaster'' coil as the Pertronix ''Blaster'' coil I see mentioned?

'Scuse the thread drift, but can I ask [I have to, I'm in the UK]...I have an MSD Blaster coil on my 200. Is that the same ''Blaster'' coil as the Pertronix ''Blaster'' coil I see mentioned?
Accually I made a mistake there the Pertronix coils are called a "Flame Thrower I or II" and MSD coil is the Blaster both can work well.

If I went with adding Pentonix and a hotter coil. What coil would I purchase? Is there a certain model? If I went this route would I be able to upgrade the carburetor (weber 32/36 DGV) or would I need to stay with the stock autolite 1100
If you are going with stay with the loadacrap distributor then your SCV carb will work fine.
If you want the best with the DS1 or DS11 & the only difference is the rotor & size of the cap. With the DS11 you also need the adapter to accommodate the larger cap.
If you go that route your 1100 carb with SCV can be modified to provide ported vacuum to the vacuum advance.
Another option is a HEI distributor. Its a one wire hook up, but you need a full 12V.
Any distributor you go with needs to be recurved for you engine combo.

I have a 67, but the engine was shot so I got a donor 200/C4 from a 66 getting a V8 swap. The vac can was shot, so I swapped to a 69 with a mechanical advance. I have a DSII to convert to after getting it running again (head gasket leak). I also did a T5 conversion as my car was a stock manual car, and I have to say it was pretty darn easy. Like escaper, I got the modern drivelines kit, resurfaced my flywheel and installed it in place of the flex plate, rolled under the car with the tranny on my chest and stabbed it into the clutch. Stabbing it in took about 15 minutes. Mine also leaked and because I couldn't find the leak initially, I swapped it again. There's good info in the transmission and drivetrain forum, but the best posts lost their sticky status, so it will take some searching.

Yeah, mine sat from 2006 until recently. It was mostly restored body-wise, but the engine was a mess and it was all I could do to coax it home 15 miles. Replaced the fuel pump (leaking), rubber lines, distributor vacuum advance, ditched the coil, condenser and points for a Pertronix unit and coil, rebuilt carb, alternator, belts and more. Spark plugs, oil change, etc. That got it running fairly well. The engine is okay for the time being, but got a distributor from wsa111 and will go the DSII route when I decide to upgrade the head / exhaust and ditch the carb for a sniper 2300. In the meantime, rebuilding the entire suspension/steering with V8 spindles, disc brakes in front, shelby drop, new bushings everywhere and eventually an updated rear end. While I am definitely taking the high-end approach, I waited 40 years for my 2nd 65 fastback and this time I can afford to do it "right". Enjoy your build! Mine brings me endless pleasure. Oh yeah, also ditching the 3-speed manual and doing a T5 upgrade in the next week or so.
Hi I have a 67 vert 200/c4. I have already did most of if not all the mods you mentioned. I think I have posted them on this site . My car is in the eye candy under the money pit.
My reason to post a reply to you is to say should you go to a sniper 2300 save yourself a lot of grief & buy a Holley in tank efi pump. Also the dura spark dist on a msd 6al box with the sniper made my 200 come alive even on the small log head and pathetic stock 6 cyl exhaust system. Also make sure the timing chain is in good shape as it will still run ok even if its streched a mile.

Hi I have a 67 vert 200/c4. I have already did most of if not all the mods you mentioned. I think I have posted them on this site . My car is in the eye candy under the money pit.
My reason to post a reply to you is to say should you go to a sniper 2300 save yourself a lot of grief & buy a Holley in tank efi pump. Also the dura spark dist on a msd 6al box with the sniper made my 200 come alive even on the small log head and pathetic stock 6 cyl exhaust system. Also make sure the timing chain is in good shape as it will still run ok even if its streched a mile.
Sorry I forgot to mention if any of you guys with the 200 's want any info about the mods on mine you can contact me at wc4225@gmail.com. if it technical info I can't help as mine has been bolt it on & go. I'll be glad to try to help as I'd like more people to realize you don't have to have a v8 & it's fine with the six..

the Handbook
And
tech archive
to begin to know the right questions to ask...
Catch up there'n come back. Will B easier for both of us...
8^ )

Thanks. Definitely going the 2300 route, hopefully with an aluminum head/intake. I was planning on on a new tank with integral fuel pump. One money dump at a time! All I have left before my alignment and tranny swap is to bleed the brakes and install my new Cragar SS wheels I am picking up this morning. Then I will enjoy the summer driving a bit before diving into my winter rebuild. I am planning a full rebuild on the engine. It appears to run alright, but if I am building up the top end, I want to ensure the bottom is tip-top shape too.

Thanks. Definitely going the 2300 route, hopefully with an aluminum head/intake. I was planning on on a new tank with integral fuel pump. One money dump at a time! All I have left before my alignment and tranny swap is to bleed the brakes and install my new Cragar SS wheels I am picking up this morning. Then I will enjoy the summer driving a bit before diving into my winter rebuild. I am planning a full rebuild on the engine. It appears to run alright, but if I am building up the top end, I want to ensure the bottom is tip-top shape too.
That's not a bad plan. My problem is I keep buying items that came as options for my car when I find them at a good price usually from members on the vintage mustang forumn. I did luck up & purchase an alumn head from super4ord on this forumn a few months back. Serial # 009 from the first mfg.

I had Schneider cams grind a cam for me but I have'nt had time to install anything yet. I thought when I retired I would have time for everything but the last 4/5 years has still seen plenty of work.

That's not a bad plan. My problem is I keep buying items that came as options for my car when I find them at a good price usually from members on the vintage mustang forumn. I did luck up & purchase an alumn head from super4ord on this forumn a few months back. Serial # 009 from the first mfg.

I had Schneider cams grind a cam for me but I have'nt had time to install anything yet. I thought when I retired I would have time for everything but the last 4/5 years has still seen plenty of work.
Yeah, I would love to score a head, used or not. I'd love to retire too, but as a small business owner, that'll be difficult unless I sell the company. Still a few years away from that. In the meantime, I'll continue keeping my beast up-to-date little by little. This winter will upgrade the rear end and rear brakes, which should have everything ready for when I start tricking out the motor.

now you've seen 'the handbook' & tech archive (top most line above) it's all worked out - post '64 block'n '68 LOM/SCV parameters U know how to just go down autozone or pep boys'n get the ford upgrades cheep. Only other thing to add is the benefits ofa hybrid system usin an 'hei 4 pin' steada the DSII blue strain relief 'brain'...
(go fast for less dot com)

Back