Anyone know which years had H/W carbs?

A

Anonymous

The Fox-bodied Mustangs and Capris were rumored to have the 2-stage H/W carbs on some of the 3.3L (aka 200CID) engines, especially the 'police interceptor' version.

Does anyone know what years these were?

Sorry, but there were never any "interceptor" 200 motors... they all had 1bbls.

Now the 2.3L equiped models were different. Funny how the smaller engine gets the bigger/better carb eh?

The Cologne "Bent Six", the 2.8 liter V6, had a staged Holley/Weber 2-bbls from the 2600 Capri days until 1979 (Shared with the Pinto 2000/2300/Capri 2300). Then it was 2100 Autolite/Motocraft 2-bbl or the nasty variable venturi carb. Then the German factory retooled for twin branch exhast engines, not the triple branch, for their Cortina/Taunus/European Granada/Capri engines, some of which were turboed. Standard fitment on these West German engines was the awfull Solex 32 or 34 mm syncronised carb, without the sideways adaptor which has to be used to make the Weber work on a V6. It re-appeared in 1982 for the little Bronco II/Ranger, but with yet another carb which was even worse!

Then, after Ford US was stood up by the Germans, the US Fox body 'Stangs and Capris got the last of the 200 cube in-liners. The Police Pursuit/Interceptor was often the 351 Windsor V8, an emissions legal option to the CHP and other cop cars for many years!

This "rumor" about the Police Interceptor version of the 200CID came from a local mechanic who now sells parts at NAPA. He showed me in the NAPA catalogs, after I told him he was pulling my leg, about the PI 200.

He used to service them for a local security company (a "Rent-a-Cop" organization). They were in Fairmont 4-door sedans and Mustangs. The Mustangs had a Carter 1-bbl carb and the Fairmonts had the H/W 2-stage carb with a flat air canister with a square filter that fed from a snout pointed toward the front of the engine. This latter item sounded a lot like the H/W setup on my old (1974) Capri (2000cc 4-cyl.), but he swears it was the 200CID six underneath, as he tuned them up himself. They all had automatic transmissions, too.

The security company went out of business in 1990 and he went to work for NAPA. He said it was just recently that the PI designation started showing up in the engine parts catalogs, like for alternators, radiators (3-row on PI Fairmonts-turned out to be the same as the T-Bird radiator of that vintage) and A/C pumps. (The A/C pumps for the PI engines were the same ones Mazda uses, as rotary vane type instead of the piston type like mine has.)

I am very familiar with the larger PI engines, especially the 390 "FE" family and the 351 Cleveland types, haven't ever touched a 351W PI type, though. That one's new to me. Usually, these V8 versions have more CR (9.5:1 or 10.25:1), 5-15 degrees more cam, faster distributor spark advance curves (heavier weights are used in the dizzy with standard springs), and bigger carbs. The "FE" type had factory headers made of cast iron and distributors with 45 degrees of mechanical advance! I have one of those distributors in my 1967 LTD fastback and it's a real screamer! Gets good MPG, too, even on today's low-grade premium gas.

I'd like to find one of these PI 200 engines and swipe the H/W carb and distributor from it. I just can't seem to locate one locally.

Back