Best rebuild kit

jamerson84

I've got a 65 200 that I'm getting ready to rebuild and I was wondering who makes the best rebuild kit for the 200. I've been looking at a kit made by Federal Mogul has anybody used one of these are they any good? Is there a ford made kit any where?
Also would it be better to go with the stock dished pistons and mill the head for increased compression. Or go with the Tempo flat top pistons. And how much does a set of the tempo pistons run.
thanks.

8) federal mogul makes quality parts. i have used them in street and race engines with no problems to date. if you want more compression i would start with a flat top piston, and go from there.

If you're doing a rebuild, check with CZLN6 and get his Falcon Performance Handbook. It's got just about everything there is on these 200 engines!

Howdy Jamerson84 and all:

Thanks for the kind endorsement Mark.

Jam- You should check with your local machine shop and/or rebuilder. Kits and prices vary depending on your local. Here in Eastern Idaho my machinist gets the best service and deals on kits from a company out of the Denver area. The kit was customed to the extent that I ordered a Comp 260H and HSC flat-topped pistons. Putting together a custom kit should be a factor, unless you're going for a stock rebuild.

As for pistons and milling, it's best to decide on your compression ratio goal 1st and design from there. For a nice street rebuild with a CR in the 9.5:1 range, I'd reccommend decking the top of the block to zero, using the small dish pistons, and milling the head to achieve your final CR goal. Zero deck height will make up for the difference in thickness between your stock steel shim head gasket @ .025" and the modern replacement, composite type at about .050". It will help to maintain a more desireable, tighter quench area.

In general, on a wedge shaped combustion chamber engine, all else being equal, dished pistons make more power.

Keep us posted on your progress and your choices.

Adios, David

jamerson84":1uscafi9 said:
I've got a 65 200 that I'm getting ready to rebuild and I was wondering who makes the best rebuild kit for the 200. I've been looking at a kit made by Federal Mogul has anybody used one of these are they any good? Is there a ford made kit any where?
Also would it be better to go with the stock dished pistons and mill the head for increased compression. Or go with the Tempo flat top pistons. And how much does a set of the tempo pistons run.
thanks.

$17 US (a peice) at Autozone for replacement Tempo/Topaz pistons. I think they also offer a piston for a cylinder bored 30 over.

:D

hey,

i am in the same situation as you however i droped my block off at CLifford Performance and they are going to get me 375hp out of her do all the machining and build it for me for a hell of a deal the price is about $4200 give or take a few hundred. This kit includes new pistons, cam , cam kit, rings , gaskets, seals, header, aluminum head, carb, and valve cover, air cleaner, intake, crank, pullys, harmonic damper, water pump, oil pump, fuel pump, belts, and fan, so basicly a whole motor. they heat tank it and magna flush it. and they will ceramicate it for you with what ever color you want, or even Crome :LOL: . They also have a warenty on it. not sure what it is. they put is all together for you to. I love building motors myself but i dont have time to do it in my busy life.. also they do all the machineing for this price to, it will take them about 4 weeks. But it They garenteed me it will make my falcon run like a bad out of hell, and they said to check the seatbelts to besure they are incorrect. I will be able to get her to about 7000 RPM's Safely so Watchout Hot August NiGhts. THe only thing they wont do is the distrubitor, cause i dont want them to. but they may for you.

wes

with all the problems people have been reporting with clifford performance, i sure hope you get your car back this year :unsure:
Sounds like it will be a screamer when it is done - make sure you get it dyned, we would love to see the results -
cheers :beer:
John

hi

what do u mean by getting it dyned. Yea i hope it is ready before summer and i drop it in before summer. They called me and told me it will be ready soon, about 2 more weeks they are just trying to make a oil pump and fuel pump drive shaft and then put on the custom oild pan then come the head work. they said the head is all built and adjusted. accept i am some what pissed off the cost he told me is not right it is about 1000 more than he said but what could you do i was an idot for not getting a quote on paper however if thats what i need then thats what i need... i do have a question though with the amount of Horse Power she will have do you think my tranny can handle it.. I have a C4 Cruise o matic. or would you replace that to if so what would you replace it with.. also you all would not belive what i got for free,, I got a brand new Daynon six rear end, it is a 9" and a 4 lug. Thanks to my buddy at summit racing he is the owner of the store up here.

Having dealt with Clifford some myself, I would be very weary of any promises they make about horse power. They tried to tell me that a stock head with the 2 into one adapter would give me more power than an aussie head. Having looked at both heads myself, I don't think the log head would have a chance. Also I don't see how you can get 375 hp without turbo or supercharging, plus nitrous, etc. If I were you I would tell them they owe you some money back if it does not dyno close to 300 hp.

Having dealt with Clifford some myself, I would be very weary of any promises they make about horse power. They tried to tell me that a stock head with the 2 into one adapter would give me more power than an aussie head. Having looked at both heads myself, I don't think the log head would have a chance. Also I don't see how you can get 375 hp without turbo or supercharging, plus nitrous, etc. If I were you I would tell them they owe you some money back if it does not dyno close to 300 hp.

falcon_man,

Are you having them build a small ford six or a big ford six?

Bronco is right about the horsepower if it's a 200 six. 375hp is way out of range for that engine if it's normally aspirated.

And I've never heard of an aluminum head for these, except the Austrailian crossflow.

Thanks for the replys
I'm not quite sure yet what I want to do in the rebuild since this will be my first time rebuilding but I know I want to do somthing to get a little more power.
I do have the Ford six performence hand book and it has helped alot.
here's the plan so far. For the most part I think I'll just be adding compression. I havn't found a machine shop yet but if the price is not to bad I might have the intake valves inlarged to the bigger 1.75. Will a bigger intake valve help even if I keep the stock 1100 carb since I just bought a new rebuilt one from pony carbs? Other than that probably a 3angle valve job and 30 degree back cut on the valve and a port devider. As for compression I guess I'll go with the suggested 9.5:1 CR. Of course this is to say that my old 65 head doesn't have any cracks or anything bad like that. As for pistons probably go with to small dished if they will create more power. also with this setup would it be a good Idea to switch to a better timing set?
Other than a header later on everything else would be pretty much stock.
Thanks for the help.

Back