blower on a 250 ?

A

Anonymous

Does anyone think its worthwhile to pop a blower on a 250 ?
Everyone seems to be going for turbos these days !

yeh i wanna put a s/charger on 250xflow efi not now a bit later. i know there are two different types positive & centrifugal. i also know that the s.charger on the 4azge toyota engines can some how be boosted to 10 psi but so far thats all i know, that and that i'll have to change the computer.

The SC12 from the Toyota Levin/Trueno can be uprated by adding larger pulley's on the crank end of the drive belt (the s/c end pulley has already been reduced in size since the AE101 or '91 onwards Toyota's). As far as I know the teflon seals in the s/c are rated to about 10,000 rpm which would equate to a maximum of 14 psi in the 7000-7500 rpm redline Trueno/Levin). There are several companies doing the uprated pulleys including HKS, Blitz and Cusco. The HKS will take you from 7-8 psi through to around 10-11 psi I think. The Blitz is the biggest one for reliable horsepower without modifying the computer settings etc in the Toyota's. The Cusco is the biggest you can fit overall before the pulley starts interfering with the other parts near it. However when fitted into the Toyota's it definitely requires a bigger intercooler modified mapping and it apparently does not idle very well at all.

Of course most of this info relates directly to the installation in another kind of car.

You wouldn't use the SC12. The SC14 would be a better option. it is rated at 1.4L/rev

You can do the maths and work out CFM for a certain rpm from there.

This blower was used on a V6 commodore in a zoom article. it basically boosted mid range power and then ran out of flow.

Here is a link to some pics

http://members.optushome.com.au/cortinacrazy/superchargedtd

I pinched this from PCmans link on the cortina crazy forums. I don't know whos car it is but I reckon he could tell you how it goes.

PCman might know?

You wouldn't use the SC12. The SC14 would be a better option. it is rated at 1.4L/rev

You can do the maths and work out CFM for a certain rpm from there.

This blower was used on a V6 commodore in a zoom article. it basically boosted mid range power and then ran out of flow.

Here is a link to some pics

http://members.optushome.com.au/cortinacrazy/superchargedtd

I pinched this from PCmans link on the cortina crazy forums. I don't know whos car it is but I reckon he could tell you how it goes.

PCman might know?

I think availability of the blowers is the main reason people choose turbos. There are more available.

As for blowers I would be looking at the Eaton blower off the commodores. it is designed for a decent sized engine and was under-utilised by the V6 commodore. The engine made more power than the V8 so Holden detuned the thing as it was not a good marketing exercise to have the V8 make less power than the V6.

Ford did the same with the new turbo falcon. that is why they have a turbo good for 450 hp pushing 4 psi into the engine making 320 hp.

The blower can be purchased sirectly from Holden at a reasonable price.

and the TD Cortina is the same colour as our old family hack....and runs on propane...

Free plug for propane again...gets a bit old after a while...NOT!

how do you tell what one is sc-12 and sc-14 where is it stapmed and what sort of extra power could you relisticlly get.

I am pretty sure it is cast onto the housing in big letters.

The SC14 looks the same but is about an inch longer than the SC12.

I can give you an example of what I know about the blowers.

Take the SC12 off a 4AZE 1600cc engine and replace is with a SC14 with the same ratio pulleys and the engine goes from the standard 9 psi boost straight upto 14 psi and makes around 200hp flywheel.

With the blower geared to run its maximum 12,000rpm I would expect the blower to still be too small for serious horsepower. I expect you might get 250 hp from it.

If you wanna bolt two on there then I think it will be very interesting!

I would suggest going to this site.

http://www.4agze.com

On this site you will find a forum like this one which is extrememely active on the topic of these blowers and their uses on the 1GGZE and 4AGZE.

put up a post and there are lots of people who should know the limits of the blower.

the only numbers on the body are 2-2 and was told that it cam of a old supra or something and it is bigger then the corolla ones. will look at the site thanks

hey guys noticed the link to my page here

the guy with it is a good mate of mine and has had good sucsess with the toyota blower on his cortina

at first he was only getting about 4psi at about 4000rpm and was pretty useless except for dragracing

he has now changed the pully on the blower and its running 3.5x overdrive and he is getting about 5psi at 1500rpm and 10psi solid from about 3000rpm
he is hoping to get it on the dyno later this month for a dyno tune and power run

im tempted to get one for my te cortina

best of luck
cheers
pcman

i hear alot about what kinda of engine setup/buildup thats required to run a turbo.... but what would ya aim for to run a super charger??? what main things do ya have to consentrate on?? is a supercharger easier on the motor than a turbo would be??

-matt-

The supercharger engine would be no different to a turbo engine.

Build the engine with about 8 or 8.5:1 compression maximum and as tough as you can afford to go.

The bits to worry about are the conrods and the pistons.

For an engine upto 15 psi boost ACL duralite pistons are good. The 26.9 cc dish top gets the compression down easily. Stock rods, polished and shot peened are also okay.

If you wanna start running 20 odd psi boost I would recomend going to some custom rods and forged pistons.

The rest is mostly good practice. Careful measurement and tolerencing for a high performance engine is good. A decent performance engine builder will have his own ideas about whet clearances etc to run.

Ring selection and ring gaps are important. I didn't get too carried away with mine. I used Chromoly top ring and standard second ring from ACL with standard ring gaps. I have heard of some guys placing a lot of importance on ring gaps and ositon clearances though.

I know that Fords new twin cam engine seized pistons during its testing phases on the dyno.

The one place where the supercharger and turbo will be different is camshaft selection.

I have heard good things about surecam when it comes to turbo cams. I would say they would know about supercharger cams also.

Back