All Small Six Cam and build questions

This relates to all small sixes

MR-CNC

I have a 69 mustang with a 6-200. Looking for input here.

I am looking for input on a build. Hot street some autocross just fun. No stop and go traffic.

I already have a Clifford long tube 3 into 1 x2 header.

I am looking to get a large log head. Bigger valves, ported, new seals and springs, hardened seats.

Next was new pistons and a fresh bore.

My questions start here. For better flow and fuel delivery 3X1 or a 2v conversion?

Compression range to shoot for?

I want a rough and rowdy cam and exhaust note. Not the slow chop like a v8 but more of a higher rpm idle

Would a 6 into one header be better vs my 3 into one x2 header.

And in another build on the turbo page a member is running this cam and it sounds great but wasn’t working for a boosted application. How about for NA?

Attachments

• cam card i6.jpg
    cam card i6.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 22
And in another build on the turbo page a member is running this cam and it sounds great but wasn’t working for a boosted application. How about for NA?
The cam you listed that was used on a 200 turbo engine has less exhaust duration than intake duration and has a very wide 115 degree LSA.
For a NA application the cam profile should have the same or more exhaust duration than the intake duration and have a tighter LSA, something around 110 to112 degrees instead of 115 degrees.

The other problem with that cam is that it has too much duration for a 200 six.
A 244 degree intake duration works fine as a hot street cam for the 300 six but is about 15 degrees too much for a hot street cam for a 200 six.

You would be looking at a cam profile with a 230 degree .050" duration on a 110 degree LSA for high rpm performance and a very rough idle.

The engine is looking at 6500 rpm and should have forged pistons.
The compression ratio should be around 10:1 depending on the cam profile.

A 3x1 carburetor arrangement will give you better distribution.

You were originally talking about a 400hp turbo project. What changed?

Last edited:
Food for thought, in addition to your engine mods, you'll probably feel a bigger "punch" by changing rear end gears. Stock usually run 2:79, move into 3:20/3:50 ish...
DannyG

The cam you listed that was used on a 200 turbo engine has less exhaust duration than intake duration and has a very wide 115 degree LSA.
For a NA application the cam profile should have the same or more exhaust duration than the intake duration and have a tighter LSA, something around 110 to112 degrees instead of 115 degrees.

The other problem with that cam is that it has too much duration for a 200 six.
A 244 degree intake duration works fine as a hot street cam for the 300 six but is about 15 degrees too much for a hot street cam for a 200 six.

You would be looking at a cam profile with a 230 degree .050" duration on a 110 degree LSA for high rpm performance and a very rough idle.

The engine is looking at 6500 rpm and should have forged pistons.
The compression ratio should be around 10:1 depending on the cam profile.

A 3x1 carburetor arrangement will give you better distribution.

You were originally talking about a 400hp turbo project. What changed?

I am getting closer to getting it back in the garage and I like the clean look of a carb set up and reduction in build price and fab work. the body needs a ton of work. I go back and forth on the engine and even if I have it in me to build another car.

Back