Can I put 1100 Carb for Man Tranny on 200 w/Auto tranny

64Comet404

Good Day! I hope All are enjoying a pleasant one. I was told that the 1100 Carb with One (1) diphragm is for Sixes/6's with Manual Transmissions and that 1100 Series Carbs with 2 diaphragm's are for Sixes/6's with Automatic Transmissions.

Is that True, and if so, can the Man. Tranny version, (single diaphragm) be adjusted or modified for Sixes/6's with Automatic Transmissions?

I have the opportunity to get a great deal on a single diaphragm carb, but I want to know/confirm that it will work on my Six with the double-diaphram Setup.

Enjoy Everything!

john b.

It will work fine , the second Diaphragm is a Dashpot , it allows a slow return to idle , to prevent stalling , I have never had a problem with a well tuned combo having that problem , if its a deal get it

FalconSedanDelivery":2u064een said:
It will work fine , the second Diaphragm is a Dashpot , it allows a slow return to idle , to prevent stalling , I have never had a problem with a well tuned combo having that problem , if its a deal get it

Yeyyyyy!!! ...i thought it would be Ok... the one i'm getting is a fresh rebuild from a professional, has a tag on it, never used, $188 shipped... i think it's a good deal after looking around the web at others... whaddaYouthink? i'm going to rebuild the one i got, as per the tons of advice and info collected from the web... i have the original car and carb manuals as well... but there's stuff not in the manuals and i've got a fair amount of that too... and there's probably more... i'll need from the forums... to me, carbs seem to be ridiculously complicated and overall fussy... air and fuel, quantity, quality, mixture, temperature, pressure, flow... etc... like some child who won't eat his peas, green beans, or spinach unless they're a particular shade of green, and only if the weather is nice, and the ambient temperature is comfortable and plentiful...

...most of my carb rebuilding was with Lawn/Garden Tractors, and all sorts of small gas engines for Sears, many years ago, Ha! I did do a couple of quadrajets in the 80's... the Comet and the SixSlug are new to me, just got it this past May... Love at First Sight (sighhhhh...), '64 404 Sedan, All original, 60k miles, beautiful black w/red interior, paid 4K... it needed an exhaust manifold gasket, and a hubcap, that brought the price down from 6k...

...i got a hubcap on ebay, 20 bucks free ship, and went to RockAuto for their ever so cheap auto parts for other stuff... although, the previous owner butchered up the block, manifold, screw holes... used a variety of cheap hardware store clearance bin bolts... pulled some out with my fingers... but yaknowwhat?!... while looking for that hubcap, i developed something of a "thing" for hubcaps... so I ended up with complete sets of several flavors... my wife took my paypal away, Ha!

... it's got a sub-radio-shack analog cassette deck/garbage can... the dash panel for it also vandalized... so i need those things too... but otherwise... she takes me and the dogs everywhere... and i have to plan extra time for my errands because everybody wants to talk to me about Her, HA!... lots of Fun ...

...my wife has a really nice 2010 Honda Civic Lx Coupe... I've got a CAR!...

Thanks for the Info... it's Heart Warming...

Have Fun! Enjoy!

John B.
My lil' ol' lady, solid steel cruiser, at YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHTV-co5JV0

:beer: Hi John.Welcome to the forums.Nice score on the comet.Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound track and video.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

woodbutcher":36zba3ww said:
:beer: Hi John.Welcome to the forums.Nice score on the comet.Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound track and video.
Leo

Thanks Leo! ...I LOVE my Merc! ...working on her as we speak... making spark plug wires, Accel 8mm... tonight I aligned the alternator better, the previous owner didn't have it lined up properly, and when I started the car, cold, sometimes the alternator or belt would scream... I replaced the vacuum line going to the Brake Booster and installed a vacuum gauge, centered on the firewall to keep an eye on things... I had a flat full sized spare that I plugged... next I have a dimmer switch to replace... I have a foot pad to mount on it as well... the coolant temperature sensor needs to be replaced, I might do that too, and then call it a night.

I was going to scan the computer and see if any emission sensors were throwing codes... oh wait, I don't have any emission controls or silly computers! Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!... I don't even have a PCV valve, HA! I Love this car...

:banghead: Hi John.Know what you mean about the niggling little things to attend to on an older vehicle.Am There Doing That on my truck.(84 F150)One of the first things that I did when I got my truck was to convert it to the DS2 system.Picked up about 6 MPG over the computerized carb setup.
Leo

woodbutcher":3i0un6kh said:
:banghead: One of the first things that I did when I got my truck was to convert it to the DS2 system.Picked up about 6 MPG over the computerized carb setup.

Hey! Guess what I'm getting into trouble with today! ...I'm installing a " Points-to-Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit for Universal 4-6-8 Cylinder Engines"... that is, if it doesn't rain. I don't have a garage.

I purchased the Crane Kit on Amazon for an Amazing $56.58, as opposed to 107.32 because it was an Amazon "Wharehouse Deal"... I've gotten several of those Deals and they have saved me a pile. The stuff I get is always brand new. For the Crane XR-700, the listing said that it may be an open box or not the original packing, something like that, but it arrived brand new still in it's original package. Again, I've saved a pile through Amazon on auto parts. I highly recommend checking them out when shopping for auto parts... as well as RockAuto and, of course, Ebay.

I'm looking through the Comet Service Manual, and correct me if I'm wrong but, it seems the Comet uses a primary resistance wire between the ignition switch and ignition coil. I guess that would mean that the original coil would be of the non-internal resistor type. So that if I was replacing the coil, I should get a non-ballast type as well, without the internal resistance, nor an external ceramic resistor. The coil that is on there now is an old looking Accel Super Stock coil, and I'm not sure what flavor it is, but it looks tired and I'd like to replace it. I'm also going to move the coil from the side of the engine block, where there's a good amount of heat, to a location directly across from it on the outer wall of the shock tower, around there somewhere.

:unsure: Hi John.On the ign system.On that I have NO knowledge.There are much wiser people than I here that can help with that.
Leo

woodbutcher":2oirwmcm said:
:unsure: Hi John.On the ign system.On that I have NO knowledge.There are much wiser people than I here that can help with that.
Leo

Thanks Boss! I'd check things out myself just to be sure, but it's been rainy, cold, and damp, and not a day for playing with my digital volt-ohm-meter outside. Even if the book says so one way or the other, things may have changed, as someone may have modified things. And again, even if the book says so, getting info from real people with tons of experience is the way to go. Sometimes, you'll find some guru, who says something like... "don't listen to the book, because in 1964, after the book was written they changed the design because they found out it was a fire hazard, and they didn't publicize it or change the book because they didn't want anyone to know about their dangerous design and dadadadada..." Furthermore, my car was manufactured in Canada. There may be some peculiarities about it

:unsure: Hi John.Even though your car was built in Canada,the wiring should be the same as the US built cars.
Leo

The road of life is paved with cool-arburettors.

Well done on your Autolite, that FalconSedan fella knows stuff...:beer:

xctasy":3sfdei70 said:
The road of life is paved with cool-arburettors.

Well done on your Autolite, that FalconSedan fella knows stuff...:beer:

HA! Thanks Boss... yep! I checked the schematics again, more closely, and there is a primary resistance wire. It leaves the ignition switch as a Red/Green, splices into the Pink resistance wire, then back to a Red/Green, which connects up to the Positive on the Ignition Coil. So the Coil that I stick in there is going to be of the non-internal resistor type.

...okay, nuff of this nonsense... i gotta stick my head back under the hood and get some work done...

Later!

Back