All Small Six Catalytic Converter attached to exhaust manifold on Ford in line 6

This relates to all small sixes

1981 Capri

1981 Capri Fox Body , has a 3.3 litre / 200 cid in line 6 , engine has a Cat attached to the exhaust manifold .

Any one interested in this topic also look at thread name " Late model exhaust manifold" posted by turtle twerp july 15 2022. also in that thread there is a link to the write up by xctasy , a must read .

For me it is nice to know that this exhaust manifold is a good one and it can stay in place . I am having excessive heat issues in the engine compartment and with the muffler heating up the under side of the back seat . To resolve this heat issue i could start with knocking out the contents of the cat that is attached to the exhaust manifold . The above links talk about creating a large single or a dual exhaust system using the cat / can. For now i just plan on cleaning out the cat and leave the same size exhaust pipe size .
Question is / How well does this work out to just clean out the cat ? any issues ?

I done this on several Cars and Pickups it can work really good especially if the Original Cat is Clogged up, in that case a new Cat would also fix it. Do you know if the engine tune is right and there are no issues with the stock emissions equipment?

The car will be going into a shop soon to have the cat cleaned out . Bubba I will bring up the items you mentioned . Engine seems to run fine . muffler seems to hot as well so will ask shop to drop the muffler for a look see. Could loose bits of cat go down stream and plug the muffler ? It is the original cat from 1981 so ! most likely plugged ? original owners of this car . have all past history of engine work. The exhaust manifold has been off twice over the years for needing a new exhaust gasket and resurfacing. Is that average ? twice ? or did the cat over heat the exhaust manifold ?

Last edited:
Yes the Mufflers can also get Clogged up it happens all the time on cars that have set unused for a long time and a Mouse or two decides to move in and build their new nest. The insides of a muffler can also just Rust and fall apart from use starting from the inside out and clogging it up. Yes a Cat that starts to come apart could also clog up a muffler to. The newer Universal Cat's now are also much higher flowing than the original ones were so that also helps the performance than if you happen to need a new muffler adding one of the better flowing ones and you should notice a good amount of difference in the Drivability and likely even pick up some MPG or Im. L.? in economy too. Best of luck

Bubba , What is a good after market replacement exhaust manifold for this 200 cid engine ? name and part number please .
This cat /can is a can of worms for me . I do not do my own work . Have already paid twice to have the exhaust manifold removed to install new gaskets . You would not believe the amount of money spent already on exhaust gaskets and resurfacing . The stud bolts on the cat /can look bad , looks to me like the stud bolts could snap off . Then what ? remove the exhaust manifold again ? In my area we can not get anyone to do custom exhaust work any more. So making the cat /can into a dual or big single may never happen in my area . So need to keep things simple . A single exhaust is fine . So maybe i just need to get rid of this exhaust manifold .

There is a Early style Exhaust Manifold that is made new by Scott Drake to flow better with a single 2 inch outlet, here is the link. https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-d...outlet-mustang-170-200-250-1965-1984/p/EXM27/
You could probably use a stock 1971 to 1973 Falcon / Mustang Head Pipe to get from the Manifold back to your existing Exhaust Pipes like this one. https://www.cjponyparts.com/exhaust-head-pipe-6-cyl-1971-1973/p/EX44367/

There is also a Duel Outlet made by Aussie Speed if you want the Duels, here is the link. https://www.aussiespeedshop.com/pro...al-outlet-cast-iron-exhaust-header-as0017-1v/

No real need for much Custom Exhaust work on these years of Mustangs or Capris since many of the 5.0 V8 versions came stock with factory duel exhausts and all the replacement pipes are easy enough to get and bolt together. There are also lots of pre made exhaust kits in many different Pipe Diameters also with the much better flowing "Mandrel Bends" that are made for these cars by several aftermarket company's too.

I am going to be installing a really nice FlowMaster Duel V8 Exhaust Kit on an early Mustang Coupe with the 200 six. The only part of this system I will have to custom make from a few premade Mandrel Bends and a couple of short lengths of straight pipe plus do a few welds is for a pair of short Connector Pipes from the Header's Duel Collector Outlets into the X pipe. Best of luck Edited

yeah xestacy may have some good ideas w/that 'football' exhaust. Most would just put on the earlier straight manifold ('65 - 84 bubs cites/links above) . Easier to adapt all the following/down stream exhaust parts for the shops U use. So, yes
"...So maybe i just need to get rid of this exhaust manifold ...." if/since the earlier sits on this same motor (as they were the same motor too) but do not get rid of 'the football' till U get the straight (order urself if needed : https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c3oz-9430-ar) less than $150. Get 'em gasket too: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c3dz-9433-a . Guy may break off a bolt or 2 holding it to the block so give him the kit, 1 of these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-emb-c6de-525?rrec=true. Ask 'em to put never seize on the bolts so nxt guy can remove w/ease. U will hafta go back several times for a re-tq as the 1st 2, 3 heat cycles loosen up these bolts. 25 ft/lb on tq so never-seize is (again) nice to have. Last, call me to pour my beer on his head if this is all too hard to follow, cant B done 8^0

They dont give U any breaks w/the BS of what U say they now do. Not willing to think or do any wrk it seems. It's not quite "custom exhaust wrk". Since the Mustang & Bronco R so popular (I can get EVERY part to my bronk & even in different styles each) U should B able 2 get the down stream pipes, muff, resonator, intermediate, tail pipe, hangers, gaskets, flanges and donut. Otherwise give them X's post on a changed 'football' exhaust. Take the current apart, hold upside dwn, shake out all the cat's internal parts (I gota 'cone' adapter I'd put on my compressor'n blow out ur system). Or start over (more expensive). Gotta pay for labor or parts 1 way or other. HTH

... wonderin' if anyone else ever considered adapting the odd Cat-Exh manifold for a turbo mount?.

hav e fun

U mean a "Y" there?
or...

bubba / chad , thankyou for your time on this . Question , Above there are two exhaust manifold part numbers . What is the difference between C30Z - 9430 - A R what is A R ? what is outlet size ?
and C30Z - 9430 - H F says HF is Hi flow , 2 inch outlet .

Yes the Scott Drake: C3OZ-9430-HF is the 2 inch Higher Flow Exhaust Manifold. The Scott Drake: C30Z - 9430 - A R doesn't say what the size is but it would have to be the smaller outlet size of the stock 1965 Mustang 200 six I think that was a 1 3/4 inch.

Found more about this strange looking manifold , sounds like an engine that has this cat / can is a big bell . https://fordsix.com/threads/200ci-big-bell-questions.68983/

found a shop that is able to build any exhaust system . so now have the option to use the cat /can as xctasy has pointed out with a large single 3 inch outlet , or go with the 2 inch out scott drake .

removed a pipe plug from top of cat /can , was able to look inside cat , it is empty . even with cat gutted , still seems like there is a lot of heat in engine bay and cat / can just under the carb.
My issue is heat , Question ? would there be less heat in the engine bay with the 2 inch out scott drake ?

if i did go with scott drake, there is no fitting for the EGR , Q ? delete EGR ?

Last edited:
Back