Chrysler 225 in John Deere 400 Swather

OldTrusty80

Here's some pics I took while fixing our swather last summer. Motor was locked up, so off come the head, PB Blaster in the cylinders and alot of hammering the pistons and working the crank with a pipe wrench... got it freed up, put together, and cut 30 acres of oats and barley! It uses some oil, but good enough for what its for. Valves were rusted up a bit too, those got the same treatment. I'll try posting the running video tomorrow 20200720_173451.jpg20200720_173455.jpg20200720_173642.jpg

Heres a few of the farmer fixes I did to get the machine usable, it sat for 5 years out in the weather and we needed it this year. I'll slowly put things in order, it worked great though!

Wouldn't run with the pcv connected, too much blowby... and the choke cable was toast, so I used wire to hold it open
20200808_125239.jpg

Put a new starter in, it uses one off a 74 Dodge 1 ton with the 383 V8, manual trans. And the red wire is the starter switch ;)
20200808_125121.jpg

The carburetor is mixed and matched from two machines (we have a parts swather). The bolts broke off in the manifold for the exhaust, and I was out of oxygen for the torch so a couple visegrips did the job!
20200808_125112.jpg

Finally, I borrowed a rug from the kitchen for a seat pad, it was fairly comfy!
20200808_125139.jpg

I love it !.. Shows what you have to do to get things done, on the cheap... I have heard of Chrysler slant sixes in hay swathers, i thought New Holland used them. Im surprized that John Deere used that engine. Maybe they didnt really build the machine, built by another company ?.. At least if you want to replace the Engine, finding a good used one should not be hard. The Slant six is famous, and tough. One of my favorite Engines...

The 225 slant six was a cheap fix on the original 170 to get more cubes to pull around their Cars and Trucks. They raised the deck on the Block, increased the stroke by a half inch. This made the 225 an old school type Engine, ( small bore, longer stroke ). Great for low speed torque to lug down low. Great for Hay swathers and many other uses... That Combustion camber is old school for sure, way before any modern fast burn- High swirl heads... Every body loves a Slant six, they just dont know it yet !

On " Uncle Tonys Garage", he talks alot on the Slant six. He is putting one in a Mazda Miata, crazy fun. I need to look up and see how the car turned out. He did alota cutting to make it fit. But an old junk Miata, why not ?.. He is Mopar nuts, but knows his shit... Sorry i have not been around, just my busy time of year. Winter is coming !

Always impressed with how all hear watch this forum. Months go by, then some one responds.. I will do better myself when i am not so busy.

My guess he is done with it, its usable now... I would assume seeing how old this hay swather is, its used on a small farm. It only has to run afew hours 2-4 times during the season. It just sits and waits til its needed again. It could be used many years just like it is

Back