All Small Six Chuggin', then cutting out

This relates to all small sixes

Kritas

Supporter 2023
My '66 with a 200 was running well as I've been working on it. I noticed that the clear plastic WIX-type filter had a bunch of sediment on it, so I replaced it with a K&N.

Since I'm considering going to fuel injection later, I haven't worried with fuel system upgrades for the current system with the Autolite 1100. After replacing the old filter, the car is more difficult to start and will chug a bit and cut out until it gets warm. After that, it runs fine. The choke is the old style with an air tube to the exhaust manifold.

I checked the new filter, and everything is tight but there is already a bit of sediment in the screen. The PO told me the gas tank and the fuel pump are new, but I have my doubts about the tank. I'm certain that the carb is new. I'm considering draining the tank to clear all the crap out and blowing out the line as well as replacing the filter screen.

Any ideas on what's up or suggestions as to a course of action? The fuel filter doesn't look clogged, but there are small amounts of sediment in it already.

Last edited:
Hi, are you sure the choke is operating properly? Good luck

I forgot that I'd made an adjustment to the choke rod before putting the air cleaner back on. I adjusted it and neglected to lock the nut down. After starting the car, it all worked loose. Thanks for making me check it again!

4cc.jpg

Last edited:
I would recommend going back to the WIX see-through filter: 1. there is more media area for filtration and flow. 2. It is rated at 20micron (do you know what yours is?) 3. If the glass on your current filter cracks, then you have an immediate problem with little to no solution.
I have used both styles of these filters and it's too easy to keep a back-up filter in the vehicle.

I would recommend going back to the WIX see-through filter: 1. there is more media area for filtration and flow. 2. It is rated at 20micron (do you know what yours is?) 3. If the glass on your current filter cracks, then you have an immediate problem with little to no solution.
I have used both styles of these filters and it's too easy to keep a back-up filter in the vehicle.

I picked up a couple of Fram filters. Good idea.

Last edited:
Hello,
I usually place one of the Ford (can not remember the part #) all metal filters before the fuel pump to catch any garbage that may make it's way through. The filter is the 1.75" by 3" one with both ends for 3/8" hose connections. Can give the part # later as I do not have one with me now.
Mike

Back