CI head install back on track.

RPMustang

Ok, 3 months later and I finally have repaired (http://www.Robaldo.com/ProjectLazzarus) enough of the accident damage (http://www.Robaldo.com/CarWreck) on my son's 66 coupe to get the CI head install back on track.

So now I'm posting some photo's of the install. And hopefully some of you can give me a hand with some ideas for any problems I run into.

The block as it was right after pulling the cast iron head off, All that water in Cyl 6 came out of the block when we pulled the head.
pic01a.jpg

Here we've cleaned up the block & installed studs:
pic02a.jpg

Next we put the head gasket in place, being sure that it's not upside down:
pic04a.jpg

Now it's time to bolt on the head:
pic07a.jpg

Then the intake, it took a substantial bit of precussion engineering to get the necessary clearance:
pic09a.jpg

Finally, we come to the carb. I'm open to suggestions on this one. Which way should I face the carb, & ANY ideas to hook up the throttle linkage would be welcome.
pic11a.jpg

Thanks,

Lance Robaldo.

By chance, did you put any sealant on that front/left stud? It goes straight into a water jacket. When I pulled my old head I had leakage there. I also had slight leakage around those pin-hole water passages. I'm hoping the studs will help with that. Got dizzy looking at the pictures, they was spinning round and round :LOL:

Ron

Also make sure to check that the water pump impeller doesn't kiss that front/left head stud. You may have to grind a bit off the bottom of that stud to clear it...I did. ;)

Do a search for "4V clearance issues". I had posted a view of my install of a Holley 390 installed in the same orientation that you show in your mock-up.

FinalCarbInstalled.JPG

The description is in the post. There are many other examples as well from other intallations that were going on at the same time.

Have fun, Ric.

Sorry that was just a picture taken i am actually mounting the carb with the fuel bowl facing towards the firewall

Back